Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Not because of that."

Before I could respond, he bent down, kissing me. I didn't move for a second, surprised, but then kissed him back, slotting our lips together, my hand going to rest against his abdomen.

"Your pouting face is just too kissable," he said as we parted.

I pouted again, purposefully.

His lips curved into a smirk before he kissed me again. When he pulled back this time, his lips pulled down into a frown again. "I have to meet with Evander and Nadir. I don't think I'll be able to see you before the ball begins."

"What?" I responded, my chest tightening. I wouldn't see Claude before then? We were going right into facing my father after being apart all day?

"Don't worry. I'll meet with you before we enact our plan."

That didn't make it any better. What if something went wrong? Then we'd have spent our last day apart—

I shoved that thought away. I wouldn't think like that. I had to stay positive. "Does Evander know Nadir is here?"

Claude shook his head. "No. Evander won't find out until we have your father locked down."

"Ah, okay."

"I'm off, then." He put his hand on my head, stroking my hair, and then moved his hand to cup my cheek, kissing me one more time. "I'll see you later."

The strongest urge to prevent Claude from leaving came over me and my hand stretched out after him subconsciously. When I realized what I was doing, I quickly pulled it back. I couldn't stop him or hold him back. We had to stick to our plan, no matter how apprehensive I was.

I slapped my hands to my cheeks, causing Claude to glance back at me as he opened the door. I grinned sheepishly. "Just preparing myself for the day."

"Don't injure yourself before the hard part comes."

I sat properly, giving him a determined nod. "I won't. I'm prepared to fight."

He raised an eyebrow. "I meant dancing."

"Right..." A new kind of alarm ran through me. "Dancing."

As Claude left, San and Adora came sweeping in to go to class together. I decided not to shower before class since I figured I'd be sweating through class all day.

"Where's Kaz?" I asked as we made our way to our first class.

"He said he had other stuff to do," San answered.

I frowned. "With Claude?"

San shrugged. "He didn't say. Just said he wouldn't be in class today and he'd see us later."

I'd wanted Kaz around today for the extra comfort, but it didn't take long for me to forget about him. There was something cruel about having class the day of the ball. All the students were nearly shaking in excitement while I hunched over in nerves. I couldn't pay attention in class, and neither could anyone else, but our reasons were vastly different. Lietz had just given up halfway through his lecture and put up tutorials on how to ballroom dance on the projector.

I actually appreciated that. It distracted me from my thoughts because I did not know how to dance and didn't want to go into it blind. But maybe I could get away with not dancing. Just stand by the wall, eat some snacks, maybe.

Although when I glanced at San and Adora and saw how captivated they were by the tutorial, I knew that wouldn't be happening. I refocused my attention on the screen. I had to learn. Quick.

And after classes finished, Adora whisked me away to get ready, and from that point on I didn't even have enough time to think about being stressed about what would go on in only a few hours anymore. At least the taking-my-father-down portion of it. The dancing portion of it, though? I still worried about it.