Chapter 13: Stressed

Start from the beginning

"Three years." Handing her a handkerchief as she removed the hood of her face.

Dust and dried blood was smudged on her face, as she noticed his surprised face.

"Celestine..."

"I know when I met you in that auction house, you recognised my face."

Wiping her mouth as she noticed his jaws visibly harden.

"I had no intention for revenge... but I lived as if it were my life's purpose, like a coward."

Her smile sarcastic, "Perhaps are these facts wrong?"

"Victor Jenkins, the illegitimate son of Baron Jenkins and a maid. The cult of Ludisia turned your sister and your adopted father killed her, then they murdered your mother and ate your father."

"They found you hiding under the bed and they kidnapped you to be used as livestock."

"Why do you know this?" He growled lowly, lavender eyes piercing as a cold hand hid his eyes from view.

"But this is what you don't know: The Baroness Lydia Jenkins sold you out to the temple. She paid them to murder your whole family and had no intention of sending you to your fathers house."

'Is this Plot Armour ensuring I'm always on the opposite side of the male and female female lead?'

"I'm fed up of having these inexplicable nightmares every night."

Seeing the ferocious eyes, the bones of Victor's clenched hand cracking. "Like I'd believe that, but it's not like you'd tell me anyway."

"What do you want?" He asked irritably.

"I want to kill them all."

"What do you want?" Grabbing her hand tightly he looked at her bitterly as she continued to press him for answers. "Knowing that the Empress is the sole person behind this all, do you want to continue this blind pursuit?"

"What do you want from me Celestine?" Trying to hide his surprise, biting his lips in annoyance.

"Swear your allegiance to me formally, as a man would to his master. At best we can be considered business partners..."

"You taught me how to hold my own in this world, if I can get what I want... I don't care about the means."

"You've already considered all of this, isn't that why you left me behind and went to the East for a year, bringing back that damn alchemist for me to babysit!"

"Yes." She laughed insincerely, without a care for how much pressure she's putting on him with her demands.

Occasionally sending him letters ordering him to do things for, like if she needs money or to clean up her house or the evidence left behind of people she's killed.

Handing him an official employment contract
written on mana paper, inflicting serious consequences onto those that don't abide by the agreement.

"I've already signed, if your happy to sign then go for it."

"Vassal???" He frowned , standing up and bringing the paper up towards the light at his desk. "Has your name changed?

Startled, she stood up in realisation, "I suppose I should formally greet you, since I've only recently recognised relatives."

Curtsying graciously despite her scruffy attire, holding the fabric of her cloak like a noble lady pinching the fine fabrics of a gorgeous dress.

"Congratulations on your ascension to Count my lord. It's very pleasant meeting you, my name is Celestine Magnus Valorean."

"?!... T-that's bullshit!" He shouted a thick droplet of ink falling on the contract as he was about to sign.

Looking up to see the gentle fluttering of her eyelashes and the refine posture, showing her eloquence in etiquette. He almost couldn't hold back.

"Fuck?!"

"Well yes, there is much to discuss but fortunately for you I have the time. More than likely assassins and spies will be following my every move in the future." She explained with little care, as if casually talking about what she wants to eat for lunch.

"..."

"I hope your swordsmanship skills haven't digressed." Laughing dryly as he felt the mild threat.

"...No."

"Good, otherwise I do wonder how you run an assassins guild... I hope you don't plan on sending people to kill me." She said with a plastic smile.

"...Of course not."

"Hurry up then, there's land I need to buy in utmost secrecy, building layouts and planning proposals that you need to have a look through. Good job with stealing the Attribute Finder from the magic research tower in the south, I hope that assigned Orphanages are making good use of it?"

Blue light glittering around the freshly signed contract, looking down on it blankly Victor could already imagine his exhaustion.

"Victor?"

"...Yes they are using it well, my people are utilising their time well training the particularly adept children. In consideration to outsiders such children are categorised as being apart of an educational scholarship."

"Also as you've suggested a group of students will be allocated to Alchemist Yun Si in the practice of medicine... but?" He paused feeling confused by her decision to do this all.

"Yes Victor?" Encouraging him to speak.

"Why are you doing all of this?"

Rolling up the contract to put away in her spacial bag, she looked at him hesitantly and removed the leather gloves from her sweaty hands.

"I hope you can agree that times are changing Victor,perhaps you should read more of the myths and legends of the Septimus Empires founding."

As magic circulated through her body, blue markings appeared of an ancient contract known to all as a mere myth populated in children's stories.

"Because my plan is to unify the tower of magical research in the south with the war crazed mages of the north."

"..."

...

Celestine: I have so much to do hehsusjsjs...

Victor: ... It's me that has to do it all.

Celestine: What?

Victor: Criesinside.jpg