Act Two- Time to mess shit up even more, apparently.

Start from the beginning

Problem is, now that the FBI and LAPD officers have interrogated us, they don't want us out of their sight.

Social Workers have been called, Annabeth's dad is coming, and they have Officers looking for my Mãe in every state.

Fuck.

Luke is playing his part of abused, traumatised trafficker survivor really well and going absolutely feral when they try to take us away from him- but I feel like he isn't acting all that much- and Annabeth is flinching from everything though I can see in her eyes that she hates pretending to be helpless.

And me? I've stuck myself to the safe spot under Luke's arms like a limpet, frantically stimming by hitting my thigh and trying not to have an anxiety attack as I try to figure out how to get all the way to Olympus with the Bolt.

They haven't taken my bag holding the Bolt, thank the gods, but that might be because I refused to take it off and did my damndest to scratch the officer who tried to take it from me to oblivion. In my defence, if I lost it, we're all screwed.

I really fucked up the situation, didn't I?

-

A cop- Sargent Daims- entered the room.

Luke, with his protective instincts already dialled up to eleven out of ten, whirled on the cop and pushed us behind him so quickly I could've gotten whiplash. I wondered how often he had to protect Thalia and Annabeth from cops before for this to be so natural to him.

"Hey," Daims said softly, positioning himself as non-threatening as possible. "It's okay. Luke, Annabeth, we've got your families here."

Luke wasn't faking his confusion. "I don't have any family. The only ones I have are right here. What trick is this?" He snarled the last part.

Annabeth seemed more concerned at the fact that her father was waiting in the other room, and shared a panicked look with me.

"Hey, Luke, don't you remember?" Daims failed miserably at de-escalation. "Your father works at a post-office in LA, your mother lives in Connecticut. They've been mighty worried for you, missing you for the past eleven years. Your father is waiting in the other room for you."

We all realised what had happened at the exact same time.

Hermes is here.

My nails dig into my thigh as I quietly whisper swears. Annabeth pulls Luke backwards, making him stumble and sit back down, but we quickly grab him in a hug. Luke looked a combination of furious, in shock, and more confused than an actual kidnapee.

"My father?" he rasped.

"Yeah, your father. Can I let him and the Chase's in?" He knows he can speak to us in a less condescending tone, right? We're not children. Well, Luke and I aren't- Annabeth hasn't even started puberty.

Annabeth stepped in. "I don't trust your officers."

"That's fine, we can just watch on the cameras. You can be here alone with them."

She gave a reluctant nod.

Daims left the room, leaving the door open behind him.

A man appeared in the doorway, and Annabeth moved so quickly that she was a blur.

"Dad!" she shouted, throwing herself at him.

Frederick Chase looked so happy to see her, he was crying in relief.

A woman came up behind them and joined the hug, happily kneeling down to Annabeth's height to speak to her in a low voice.

I smiled. I knew that Annabeth was just explaining her quest to her dad and step-mom, so I left her alone to face the elephant god in the room.