Act Two-I realized I sound like a conspiracy theorist and had a meltdown.

Start from the beginning

Looking back at the farmhouse, it was a lot bigger than I'd realized- four stories tall -painted sky blue with white trim, like an upscale seaside resort. I was checking out the brass eagle weathervane on top when something caught my eye, a shadow in the uppermost window of the attic gable. Something had moved the curtain, just for a second, and I got the distinct impression I was being watched.

The Oracle.

Fuck, I had forgotten that Miss-Creepy-Mummified-Oracle was just fucking wandering around. Bloody hell, Hades, can't you not take your anger out on innocent Oracles? I don't want to deal with that gross decaying corpse when I inevitably have to get a prophecy for a quest, nobody does!

"Come along, Percy," Chiron said, snapping me out of my internal monologue. "Lots to see."

We walked through the strawberry fields, where campers were picking bushels of berries while a satyr played a tune on a reed pipe.

Chiron told me the camp grew a nice crop for export to New York restaurants and Mount Olympus. "It pays our expenses," he explained. "And the strawberries take almost no effort."

He said Mr D had this effect on fruit-bearing plants: they just went crazy when he was around. It worked best with wine grapes, but Mr D was restricted from growing those, so they grew strawberries instead.

There's a satyr playing the flute in the field, little bugs are marching away from their tasty leafy snacks in time with the music. Cool, totally want that to keep spiders the fuck away from me, or maybe I could just straight-up set them on fire, that's good too.

"Will Grover be okay?" I ask Chiron out of the blue, interrupting him halfway through a sentence about strawberry importation. "He looked pretty nervous when he left with Mr D."

Chiron sighed. He shed his tweed jacket and draped it over his horseback like a saddle. "Grover has big dreams, Percy. Perhaps bigger than are reasonable. To reach his goal, he must first demonstrate great courage by succeeding as a keeper, finding a new camper and bringing him safely to Half-Blood Hill."

"And he did that. I arrived without too many major injuries- he dragged me to safety."

"I might agree with you," Chiron said. "But it is not my place to judge. Dionysus and the Council of Cloven Elders must decide. I'm afraid they might not see this assignment as a success. After all, Grover lost you in New York. Then there's the unfortunate ... ah ... fate of your mother. Add the fact that you were unconscious and injured when he dragged you over the property line; The council might question whether this shows any courage on Grover's part."

I scowled. That's so stupid, he did way better than what I remember in canon. "I think he showed exceptional courage. Is there any way I can testify on his behalf?"

Chiron seemed taken aback by that for some reason, "I'm afraid not, they would not see you as an impartial judge on the situation."

"Then who does he have testifying on his behalf? Or is he single-handedly defending himself and his actions with nobody to verify or attest to them? That seems far more unjust." I point out.

"I'm sorry, Percy, but that's just how things are. Now let's move on, please."

Urgh! It's like he's purposely standing by as injustice happens without any attempt to help or defend the victims! Isn't this supposed to be America? Land of the Free and Just? What about the obvious Grecian influence too? The Greeks who invented democracy? This isn't right! Stop trying to just- brush all the flaws of the system under the rug! It's like he's purposely trying to encourage all the campers to wear rose-coloured glasses and just focus on the 'good' parts of being a demi-god...!