Ch.16: The Truth After The Lies

Start from the beginning

I got up from the couch, that I stupidly sat on soaking wet, meaning I'd have to spot clean it later and walked back to the kitchen where I left my phone on the counter.

I seen I had a few text messages from Lex, who was freaking all the way the fuck out about her appointment tomorrow. She was getting cold feet & second guessing everything. Asking for my advice, which honestly I didn't know what to say. This was her life at the end of the day and whatever she chose wouldn't impact me as much as it would her.

If she kept the baby & it wasn't Carl's, does she think he'll stay? Cheating is the biggest sin one can commit in marriage, hell in relationships period. It's one thing to cheat, it's another to cheat AND bring home a baby...I lowkey lived that...Sort of...Yeah...Anyway. As I got my thumbs ready to type, Maurice came back handing me a towel.

"Say bae, I'm about to head over to my mom's house to sort this bullshit out. You want anything to eat on my way back?" he asked, stuffing his wallet into his back pocket & waiting.

"Nah, I'm good. My stomach is sick & been sick for a few days now...Now that I think about it. I don't wanna put anything on it & throw up...You can bring me a Ginger Ale back though. That's the only thing that sounds good" I said as I dried my hair.

"Ok, I got you" he kissed my lips & headed for the door "Vaeh's in her room. Dry clothes, she was reading & watching tv last I saw" he called out as I heard the alarm chime from him opening the front door. I could hear him put in the code & close the door. So instead of texting Lex back, I called her.

"Niecy, I'm having second thoughts" she answered quickly on the first ring like her hand was glued to her phone. Not so much as a 'hello'.

"I know, I got your messages...Look Lex you gotta think big picture here, boo" we sighed together before I continued. "Do you think Carl will stay if it's determined later on that the baby isn't his? Will he forgive you for cheating on him, when he gave you no reason to? You gotta think about that part...Ultimately it's your call. I'm here for you either way" I shrugged my shoulders like she could see them as I made my way down the hall to Nevaeh's room to check on her.

She was at her little desk coloring while Doc. McStuffins played on her TV, singing along to the song as her crayon made strides across her paper. I smiled to myself about my little human, that I just couldn't get enough of as I made my way to my room to put on some dry clothes.

"I know....You're right" she sighed loudly before she continued "I'm still gonna go through with the abortion...I just really don't wanna lose Carl, I can't imagine my life without him..."

"Well alright then. Meet you at the clinic 8 AM sharp ok...You got this sis" I encouraged her. "You'll get through this...Just don't make the same mistake again" I chuckled as she giggled.

"You damn right I'm not. Lesson learned...See ya tomorrow sis."

"Bet" we hung up & I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom, just as Vaeh came in with her picture that she drew. My stomach turned against me. I threw up everything except the lining of my damn stomach. Dry heaving with nothing else coming out. So much so that I broke a little sweat.

My concerned preschooler came over next to me looking just as confused as I did. She rubbed my back as she took my hand to try & help me get up.

"Are you ok mommy?"

"Yeah, mommy's fine baby. Thank you" I said as I struggled to my feet to head to the sink to brush my teeth. I was confused as fuck but realising what that could possibly mean, quickly replaced that confusion with fear.

I shook that shit off as my baby showed me the picture she drew of me, her father & a pet cat she's been bugging us about. We settled on the California King, watching cartoons before they were watching us when we took a nap. Nevaeh cuddled comfortably in my arms.