Chapter 28: Rest

Magsimula sa umpisa

We had dinner at the open hall in the evening bago tuluyang tumungo sa kanya-kanyang sleeping cabin. The night was chilly and the training camp was blanketed by minimal lights from the few lamp post surrounding the tracks.

Karamihan sa mga orders ay maagang nagpapahinga matapos ang mahabang araw ng training. We logged a few mild injuries for the day and started with our report regarding the nutritional value of the meals prepared.

After cleaning ourselves and changing to our sleeping clothes, pareho kaming nahiga sa bunk beds, with Anabeth taking the upper bed. Tahimik ang gabi maliban sa ingay ng mga insekto sa kalapit na kakahuyan.

"Owen apologized to me earlier," Anabeth said from the upper bed. Hinintay ko na dugtungan niya ang kanyang sinabi, but a minute passed and we were both silent.

"Nakakapanibago lang..." tahimik niyang dugtong. "But people do change, I guess... maybe the fault is in me for letting this insecurities remain."

Muli kaming naging tahimik before I felt her shifted on the bed. "Goodnight, Eleanor."

Nanatili akong gising. Naalala ko ang mga kwento ni Anabeth, on how isolated other people made her feel, on how the only thing that saved her from greater torture were being related to Sir Sebastian and being friends with Zanra.

But she's a different person now... she's beyond those memories now.

Hindi parin ako makatulog kahit ilang oras na ang lumipas. Hindi ko alam kung naninibago lang ba ako o dahil ito sa mga bagay na iniisip ko, o dahil sa labis na katahimikan.

Tahimik akong umupo sa kama, my eyes wandering, hanggang sa tuluyan akong tumayo. Kinuha ko ang coat na nakasabit sa likod ng pintuan, nagsuot ng sapatos at binuksan ang pinto.

I walked to the small balcony, my steps light and with no direction. A thin layer of fog blanketed the training camp, like clouds had drifted down for the night. Tahimik kong pinagmasdan ang paligid mula sa balkonahe, letting the breeze nipped my exposed face.

Sa gitna ng hamog at tahimik na paligid, isang ingay mula sa training ground ang narinig ko. It was past midnight, but someone was jogging around the tracks.

Pilit ko itong inaninag... hanggang sa napansin ko ang kanyang familiar na tindig. Sandali siyang tumigil malapit sa isang lamp post, resting his palms against his knees while heaving deeply, before restarting another lap.

I left the balcony, walking towards the familiar stature. "Zackary?"

Huminto siya sa pagtakbo sa ilalim ng lamppost. I approached him, staring at his sweaty face, his heavy breathing as he stood in front of me.

"Why are you still awake?" His deep, low voice resonated in the silent track.

Pinagmasdan ko ang kanyang mukha. "Are you okay?"

Humugot si Zackary nang malalim na hininga. "I was letting off some steam." A frown crossed his face upon realizing something. "It's dangerous to be out at this time, Eleanor."

"But I know it's you," I mumbled. It was maybe the reason why I couldn't sleep. Naalala ang sinabi ni Anabeth kanina about the courtesy call.

"Hindi ba naging maayos ang lakad niyo?"

Pinahid ni Zackary ang pawis sa kanyang noo gamit ang likod ng kanyang palad. "It's expected. You can't force everyone to support you."

Pero nakikita ko ang disappointment sa mukha niya, the pressure he put himself through to make things work perfectly tulad ng pamamalakad ng kanyang ama.

"There are still nearby hybrid villages. I could still make things work."

Unti-unti akong lumapit sa kanya at inabot ang kanyang likod upang yakapin. My arms were thin and pale compared to his toned arms, and I could tell that I caught him by surprise with the way he stared at me, but his body eventually loosen up.