02 | Interview with @IvoryAnna

Our second December's Featured Spotlight is IvoryAnna - she's the author of A New Generation of Pan, the first book of a series!

About her: Iva is a 22-year-old bisexual kpop stan who loves YA books, writing, and photography. Her favorite books are "The Ones We're Meant to Find" by Joan He & the Grishaverse by Leigh Bardugo. Besides her Peter Pan duology, she's currently working on "The Lies We Tell" (a BTS fanfic/inspired anthology) and a novel about gumiho and fairies.

About A New Generation of Pan: 'Fleeing America and the recent death of their mother, sisters Gwen and Wendi find themselves trapped with an increasingly distant father who cares only for an unfamiliar city and his stories

About A New Generation of Pan: 'Fleeing America and the recent death of their mother, sisters Gwen and Wendi find themselves trapped with an increasingly distant father who cares only for an unfamiliar city and his stories. And though the sisters struggle to adjust, London offers hope, where an absent father can be washed away by tales of Peter Pan and fairies. When Gwen is awoken one night by a terrified Wendi, she believes it's because of a missing stuffed animal. Until a stranger kidnaps the sisters and places them in the care of the Neverland pirates? Swept away to a mysterious island, the girls are forced between trusting Peter, the playful rogue, and Hook, the handsome pirate, as the two warring factions of Neverland try to tear the sisters apart. And though tensions mount across the island and Peter vies for Gwen's heart, she finds she only cares about one thing: finding Wendi's teddy bear.'

Her Favourite Quote: 'Fairytales are always peculiar things. They never listen to the wants and needs of the characters within, only the fantasy of producing a lesson. They're selfish in that manner, just like the people who read them. Who cares for the plight of the characters if we are all entertained?'

1. When did you start writing and what made you do it?

Answer:

I started around 8-years-old, but not on Wattpad until 2014, when I was bored during class. I think writing was mostly born from my love of reading.

2. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

Answer:

That it's okay to have periods where I don't write, and it doesn't mean I love it any less. I need these breaks to recharge and find the best way forward in a story.

3. Where do you get your inspiration for writing from?

Answer:

I get a lot of inspiration from reading. If I love a particular chapter or line in a book, I try to stop and figure out why it resonated so much, then find a way to put those qualities into my own writing. It can be really helpful when I'm stuck in my own writing to just read. And I really like to draw from music when I'm working on specific emotions within my writing.

4. You wrote "A New Generation of Pan", the first book of a series. How did you come across Neverland and why did you finally decide to write about it?

Answer:

I used to watch Disney's Peter Pan movies when I was tiny, but I watched a newer live action around 2015 and that reignited my love for Peter Pan. Then, I came up with the idea for ANGOP for a NANOWRIMO challenge one year when my sister and I were spitballing ideas.

5. What advice would you give to a writer working on their first book?

Answer:

No matter how hard it may seem, try your best to continue writing and finish your book. Even if you feel like it's pointless and cliche, when it's finally finished, you can always go back and edit. You can't edit a blank page.

Have you read 'A New Generation of Pan' yet? Be sure to check it out on her profile IvoryAnna!

Thank you for reading!