t w e n t y- t w o

Start from the beginning

His head snapped towards the culprit who was responsible for his pain. He looked at Delilah who was rubbing her eyes, her hair messed up falling over her eyes and he had this weird urge to run his fingers through it.

"Stop being so fucking loud and let me sleep" was all she said and went back to sleep, turning to the other side.

Maxwell looked at her bewildered, how dare she hit him with the pillow and then go back to sleep in less than two minutes.

He swiftly picked up the phone and abruptly ended the conversation, saying, "Wrong number, sorry."

He sighed in relief and was going back to finishing his book when someone's phone rang again- this time it being Delilah's.

He hovered over her form with his hand near her head, quickly grabbing the phone from the side table.

The phone displayed "Kathryn" with a red heart on the right as the contact.

"cute" he mumbled under his breath and turned to wake Delilah up from her deep slumber. 

"Delilah" he spoke softly, shaking her shoulder gently turning her to his side making her open her eyes slowly.

"What?" she asked, her voice rough and quiet from her sleep.

"Kathryn is calling on your phone." he brought the phone in front of her face, making her scrunch her eyes to see properly. 

"She looks adorabl- nope never mind." was all he thought to himself, his lips turning upward a little at the sight of her sleepy look.

Delilah asked him to put the phone on speaker, then sat up in bed, put on her glasses, and face the phone, which was on his lap, momentarily brushing their shoulders.

"Kathryn, what happened?" Delilah asked, her breath hitting Maxwell's jaw as she bent slightly to talk on the phone.

"Oh nothing much, just informing you that Ryan and Alisia have to come a little earlier as the driver said that it's very risky to drive late at night especially with the kids," Kathryn informed them.

"Alright..." Delilah mumbled, "how early will they be coming here then?" she asked, her hands resting near Maxwell's thigh.

"Oh, in about 2 hours I guess?" Kathryn said nonchalantly.

"What?" Delilah exclaimed, "But we don't have anything ready and we have to clean and-" she was cut short as she felt a hand clutching hers.

Maxwell gave her a small-very small smile that wouldn't have been visible if she would have blinked that second.

"It's alright Kathryn, you can send them whenever you want," he calmed both his wife and his mother-in-law, who were both frantic.

"Oh thank God, also Delilah I wanted to ask you where will both of the kids be sleeping?" Kathryn enquired.

"Oh- well they will be sleeping in our bed only as Dad took the key of the guest key with him yeah?" She concluded thoughtfully.

From the other end of the line, there seemed to be a pregnant pause. Delilah was unsure whether the phone had been disconnected, but as she was about to take up the phone in her hands, she was startled by a voice from the phone, causing her to move back slightly.