Chapter 45 - My Boyfriend

The next morning, you wake up and Shoto is already there sitting by your bed.

Shoto: "Morning, Y/N."

Y/N: "hey... how long have you been here?"

Shoto: "A couple hours. But I didn't want to wake you. How are you feeling?"

Y/N: "still hurts... but it's better than yesterday. and better now that you're here."

He gives you a little smile and holds your hand, and gently pats your head with the other.

Y/N: "... you know... these burns are going to leave scars..."

Shoto: "And...?"

Y/N: "they're not going to be pretty-"

Shoto: "..."

Y/N: "..."

Shoto: "Do you think I'm pretty?"

Y/N: "h-huh?"

Shoto: "Do you think I'm pretty?"

You tried your hardest not to laugh, because it hurts when you do. But you were completely taken off guard at that question coming from him.

Y/N: "i mean... yes... i think you're very pretty- i mean... handsome..."

He pointed to the scar on his face.

Shoto: "This is a burn scar too, meaning yours are going to be similar to mine. To say you won't be pretty is to say I'm not pretty."

A small smile crossed your face.

Y/N: "...i'm sorry."

Suddenly, your door opens and in walks...

Y/N: "m-mum...?"

Mum: "Y/N!"

Shoto turns around to face her, a slightly nervous look on his face. He stands up.

Shoto: "H-hello, ma'am..."

Mum: "Oh, hello. Y/N... Who's this?"

Y/N: "mum, this is my frie- my boyfriend."

You thought your heart was going to pound right out of your chest. You had just told your mum, you have a boyfriend.

Mum: "B-boyfriend...?"

Shoto bows, still nervous.

Shoto: "Shoto Todoroki, ma'am. Pleasure to meet you."

He straightens up.

Mum: "You're the one who's been making my daughter so happy...?"

Shoto: "I-i..."

Y/N: "yes. he is."

To your surprise and delight, your mum smiles at him and hugs him.

Mum: "Thank you..."

Shoto is a little startled, but he smiles.

Shoto: "Of course."

She lets go of him and they sit on either side of your bed.

Y/N: "I thought you wouldn't approve, mum."

Mum: "Not approve? Y/N, maybe that's how I was... but the truth is, I'll love and accept anyone who treats you right and makes you happy. And this young man looks like he does both those things."

You smile.

Y/N: "thanks, mum."