Chapter 2: Giants

A child and a Mini-con lay on the ground, chatting with a notebook between them, with no clue of danger already heading their way

     Evelyn didn't know where he'd come from, but this little robot was apparently a shockingly fast learner. The English alphabet wasn't easy to learn, but she marveled at how fast he learned the sounds and Morse code rhythms that went with them. He was already trying out random words in just a few minutes, and she chuckled but gently corrected him when he accidentally mixed sounds.

         "See," she said, writing quickly on the pad. "This is my name." She wrote "Evelyn" and passed it back to him. "Do you know how to say that?" He reached out a hand and turned the notepad. Pausing for a second, he chattered the letters hesitantly but accurately, and Evelyn smiled to hear her own name in his voice.

         "Yes! That's right." She looked at him, curious and excited. "You have a name, too, don't you? So what's your name?"

     He beeped once, eyes sparkling. Pulling the book toward himself again, he looked over the page. After a long moment, he slowly beeped out a series of letters, and Evelyn translated in her head.

     He slowly and clearly sounded the letters to spell out one word. 'Hedlit'

         "Hedlit?" She asked, pronouncing it out loud. He shook his head at her. He chattered, said the letter "I" a couple times, and pointed at the I written on the page. The same thing she had done to explain the different vowel sounds.

         "Headlit," she mused, thinking. "Head lit. Headlit... wait, is it HeadLIGHT?" He tittered happily, pointing at her. "Headlight?" She repeated, bewildered. "Your name is Headlight?" He cocked his head at her, beeping once cheerfully.

         "I- " she paused. After a moment, she smiled. Why should it be weird? It was his name. And she supposed it made a little sense. He was a dirt bike, wasn't he? Maybe her name sounded strange to him.

     Smiling, she gave him a deep nod. "Well then, it's very nice to meet you, Headlight." He nodded back, his eyes twinkled, and he laughed happily, his shoulders shaking. Evelyn laughed, too. "So, who named you?"

     There was a pause. Headlight cocked his head and stared at her.

         "You know... who gave you your name? And who made you?"

     He blinked slowly, clearly confused. After a long pause, he trilled questioningly. Maybe he needed help understanding the question. Evelyn decided to try another way. "Where did you come from?"

     Suddenly, a loud sound cut through the air, echoing from around the other side of a cliffside near them. Evelyn couldn't explain it. It was almost a ripping sound originating from the air itself.

     A crash sounded, shaking the ground underneath them. "Hey... doesn't this place look like where we found those first Mini-Cons?" A deep, hesitant voice rumbled from just around the corner. It echoed much louder than somebody's voice ever should. Evelyn jumped, mouth agap, shocked at the noise.