33

December 1, 1988

"Skirt." Lindsey says before she can even open her mouth. 

"I was going to say, will you bend down and get that earring I dropped." She points do the floor by her feet. They were all getting ready for the lighting of the tree. Lindsey was good to go, he was just getting William ready. They had taken the liberty of moving William's dress-y and royal-ish attire into the master closet so they could all get ready at the same time and keep an eye on their three year old. 

"Oh I thought you were going to ask the age old question." 

"No, I'm waring pants tonight. But you're going to have to help me put my shoes on." 

"I have been since September." He smirks.

"Shut up. The reason I'm fat is because of your demon spawn." 

"Mama, you look pretty." William chimes in from his spot on the floor.

"Oh thank you peanut. You're very handsome." She replies. 

"Thank Mama." 

Lindsey picks up the earring and hands it to her. "Lindsey I don't think I can do the parade this year." 

"Steph, you have to. We can get you a chair and you can sit on it but if you aren't leading the parade, the people will riot." 

"I hate it when you're right." She sighs going over and getting her stuff for the night. "William baby, go sit on momma and dad's bed okay." 

"Okay mama." he stands up and makes his way out of the closet. Stevie drew the line at changing in front of her child, and she knew he could safely climb on their bed because in the last month he had been sneaking in there in the middle of the night. 

She had decided to wear pants, because the top she really wanted to wear only really looked good with pants. It was a long sleeve wrap top. It was velvet purple with lace trim at the hem. It was tight and showed ff the giant bump she was sporting. She just couldn't shake the feeling that something different was going on. 

As the tree was being lit, the feeling of something is not normal encompasses her again, but this time she had a reason for it. It almost felt like the baby in her belly was either fighting with something or it had either straightened out the long and wasn't in birthing position because she felt nudging against both of her sides and she swore that they were both feet but she wasn't going to think much of it because Dr. Skye would've told her if something was wrong. 

She cradled her belly while the tree was lit and then they dispersed for the night to get their tree and to decorate their house. 

***

December 25, 1988

The Buckingham's were waiting at the base of the stairs for their car to arrive. They were all dressed to the nines. Stevie in a burgundy velvet ball gown with a sweetheart neckline. It was modified to accommodate her massive bump. Lindsey was dressed in a pair of grey pants and a grey suit vest with a burgundy button down and William was a little mine clone of his father dressed in the same exact outfit. 

But as they were waiting for the car, Stevie just looked at Lindsey and he could tells something was going on so he simply opened his arms for her and she walked into him and hugged him.

"What's the matter angel?" He asks.

"I don't want to go to brunch." She says.

"You're not feeling good?" He asks.

"Not at all." She mutters.

"How are you not feeling good?" Lindsey inquires.

"I just...my back hurts so bad, and I just want to lay in bed and sleep and I want to be home and I don't want to go." She mutters.

"Alright, let's get through the parade and we'll tell your mom that Christmas Brunch just isn't going to happen today alright?" 

"But I want you boys to go." She explains.

"Well I'm not going to leave you here alone." Lindsey states.

"Maybe he can spend the night with my mom?" Stevie asks.

"Okay, we'll talk about it later. He assures kissing the top of her head rubbing her shoulders. 

"Mama are you okay?" 

"Oh William, I'll be alright." Stevie nods. She really wanted to take him into her arms but she knew that she couldn't. She couldn't bend down and pick him up. She couldn't bend down to hug him period. 

But seeing what his wife really wanted to do, Lindsey pulled away from her and picked him up as well so the little family of three, which wouldn't be a family of three any more could share a moment together. The three of them embraced only to be broken up by the driver of the car and then they were on their way to the parade. This was going to be Stevie' last public appearance until she decided to come off of maternity leave. 

Knowing how uncomfortable Stevie was, Lindsey made it a point to defy royal tradition. Chris was put in charge of William and Lindsey stuck by Stevie. His hand never leaving her back the whole time gently caressing it and rubbing it. At one point, he even got behind her and let her lean into him. His hands under her bump caressing lightly. As they were sharing their moment, Stevie brought a hand up to Lindsey's cheek and she moved her head to whisper in his ear. 

"Something's different?" 

"What's that?" Lindsey asks.

"I don't know...I don't think we know exactly what's going on inside of me and it's starting to scare me." 

"How so?" 

"I just feel way to full. Fuller than when I was just carrying William." 

"You do have excess amniotic fluid." 

"I know but it's something different." 

"No matter what it is, as long as you and this little prince of princess is going to be okay, then that is all that matters."

"I know, but it's still scary." 

"I know it is baby.  I do. But it's going to be okay. I love you." 

"I love you too." 

"Merry Christmas Angel.

"Merry Christmas Linds."