21

June 5, 1985

It was just after noon when Stevie got the okay to go home. Knowing they were confined to the space, Stevie had packed like she was going to stay at a hotel. She had several gender neutral outfits for the baby, because they didn't know that he was going to be a he and there were a couple changes of clothes for her and Lindsey along with their toiletries and everything. She was more than happy to get out of the endless ugly hospital gowns. She had gone through about four. The one she was placed in when she got there, the one she was put in by a nurse while Dr. Skye was stitching her up, and then the the third and fourth that she got to wear yesterday, the day before, and that morning. Three days after baby is born, is when Mommy and baby are discharged. It allows the nurses to help mom learn cry cues and caring techniques. But it didn't change the fact that she just wanted to go home. So when she finally got the opportunity, She changed into an army green tank top dress that molded around her slowly deflating stomach. She still looked pregnant and would for a while, and most of her maternity clothing was dresses and skirts as a result of her job. 

"Are you ready?" Lindsey asks returning with the carseat and the discharge papers. They were still parked at the back entrance and they were in the VIP wing so no one was paying any mind to them as there were no onlookers visiting family members. 

"I am we were waiting for you. My Little Prince is dressed, milk drunk, and sleeping so he's all good for the ride home" She smiles.

"He's going to hate that nickname." Lindsey chuckles. 

"Shh, it probably won't stick. But it's what I got for now." She replies tucking the newborn to her chest. He was sleeping peacefully in the middle of the bed, Stevie sitting on the edge, but she plucked him up and situated him in her arms. 

"What's he wearing?" Lindsey asks.

She moves the little hospital blanket out of the way, when she found out she could keep it she cried because she loved it so much, and shows off  an oatmeal colored sleeper with little grey elephants on it. 

"We have to get him baby boy clothes." Lindsey says.

"I was going to call Lori when I got home to see if she wanted to go out with me." 

"Is that smart, you're like 72 hours postpartum." 

"Dr. Skye said I'm fine as long as I take it easy. I'm not going to be running a mile, I'm going to be perusing the mall. I'll take a sitzbath when I get home. I'll be okay. I know my body." Stevie sighs. 

"I just want you to be comfortable." Lindsey smiles.

"Mm, I will be when I get him some little boy clothes." Stevie explains. 

"I'm not going to win am I?" 

"After three years, you'd think you'd know by now." She winks.

"It's only been two and a half years." 

"Still." Stevie smirks. 

"Are we ready to go?" Dr. Skye asks walking in. 

"Please tell her she shouldn't go to the mall this afternoon." 

"Your highness, she's fine. As long as her body tells her she can go, she can go. If she had, a c-section the story would be different. But she didn't, her bleeding is where it needs to be, she's fine." Dr. Skye explains.

"Hah." Stevie sticks her tongue out and places the baby in the carseat. 

"Well, it's out. We put the plague up at the main entrance and the press release will drop in 30 minutes so let's get you out of here, before people start flooding the hospital trying to catch a glimpse." Dr. Skye smiles. 

"Alright, let's go. I miss my own comfy couch." Lindsey states grabbing the bags and the baby carrier. 

"Yeah, my own bed and shower would be nice." Stevie agrees.

***

They make it out of the hospital undetected and they're literally in the car pulling into the driveway when the announcement comes over the radio that the baby had been born and they announced what his name was. 

Lindsey was changing his diaper in the living room and Stevie was walking down the stairs when she ran right into Lori and Christopher.

"Oh my god, look at you are you okay...how are you..." 

"Lori, Lori...I'm fine. I'm okay. He was born on the second. We're all okay." Stevie assures.

"You do not look like you just gave birth to a damn-near ten pounder." Chris chuckles wrapping his arms around his sister.

"Oh thanks. I don't feel like it either. I'm well rested, I'm in good spirits. Which is why, you and I," she points to Lori, "Are going on a baby shopping spree." 

"Stevie you just gave birth." 

"Lori, I'm okay. The doctor said I was perfectly fine to go to the mall. And it's not like anyone is going to know that I JUST gave birth. We haven't released the birth date just his weight, his name, and that he was here. As far as the Kingdom is concerned, I could still be at the hospital. So let's go. I'm antsy and excited." 

"But I wanna see the baby." Lori pouts. 

"Stay for dinner, you can see him then. We'll get Chinese or pizza, I haven't eaten yet today and I didn't eat for about two days before I went to the hospital.  What I ate after I gave birth, because we weren't allowed to leave the hospital room was gag-worthy.  So,  I'm hungry let's go." Stevie pulls on Lori's arm.

"Where is the baby?" Lori pokes. 

"Last I knew Lindsey was changing him in the living room. I had to go to the bathroom so I went upstairs, because that's where my post birth stuff is and now we're here." Stevie states.

"I'll tell him you guys left...Here's my keys Lori, you're not getting out of it." Chris chuckles. 

"Hey, have Lindsey call mom." Stevie gasps.

"Oh yeah, she's in Hawaii with Aunt Carmel." Chris nods.

"Yeah, so tell him to call her. Alright lets go let's go let's go." Stevie pushes Lori towards the front door. 

They were checking out In one of the baby stores and when the woman behind the counter noticed she gasped.

"But and...shouldn't you be at the hospital?" 

"We delayed the announcement. William is at home with Lindsey." Stevie explains. 

"Well how are you feeling?" 

"I'm okay. I couldn't stay cooped up, I needed to get him some little boy stuff." Stevie shrugs. 

"Well you look good." 

"Thanks." Stevie smiles.