30

When George woke up, he was greeted with comfy sheets and warm sunlight streaming onto his face. He frowned, attempting to push himself up, but stopping immediately when an excruciating pain rocketed through his body.

He hissed in pain. His head was pounding, spinning.

"Surely I've died and gone to hell." The familiar phrase spilled from his lips in hues of a whisper.

"Almost."

George looked over, and at the side of his bed, a ravenette was sat, bandana tied around his head.

"Sapnap." George breathed, a gentle smile crossing his lips.

The raven breathed out a chuckle, looking at the bedded brunet with a fond smile. "I'm getting a sense of deja-vu."

"What... What happened after I passed out?" George asked, gaze casting downwards onto the sheets that were pulled up, over his legs. "Wait! Where's Bad and Skeppy?!"

"They're fine." Sapnap promised, moving to sit on the edge of George's bed. "They're back in Las Nevadas, Quackity has an infirmary there."

George nodded. He had wanted to see them, and to thank Skeppy for saving him, on multiple occassions; but just knowing they were safe and back at home was enough for him. "Where's—"

The door to his room burst open, and they both looked over. Ranboo bounded in, tail wagging so vigorously his entire lower half shook with it. His eyes were wide, excitement painted on his face. "You're okay!"

"I told you he'd be okay." Karl huffed from beside him, also entering the room.

Ranboo almost broke George's legs with the way he sprung onto the bed. "Yeah but we know how weak he is, I had my doubts."

"I'm literally on my death bed and you're being a dick." George pouted. "I deserve better friends."

"No, you deserve a cat bed and maybe a few treats." Ranboo smiled smugly, reaching up to pinch one of George's ears. George instinctively leaned his head away and bared his teeth. "I can't believe you were a demon."

"You're not the only one." George sighed. "What happened with Devon? And where's Dream?"

"About that..." Karl looked to Sapnap and Ranboo, who quickly averted their gazes, clearly not wanting to be the ones to say, "he was stabbed with Izlia, he died on the way back. We wanted to keep him for you to question, for you to get your justice..."

George felt his heart sink. All that, practically for nothing. No answers, no revenge, just a narrowly escaped death. "Fuck."

"We're sorry, George." Ranboo sighed, leaning his head back to brush his fingers through his oreo coloured locks. "But thanks to you we managed to destroy the hunters' base here in Florida. And other demons are already setting out to different states to do the same."

George smiled briefly, "I'm glad." His head lifted, and he looked at the three. "Where's Dream?"

"Right here."

Brown met green, and George could tell, just by the way Dream stared at him from the doorframe, that the blonde wasn't happy.

Ranboo seemed to sense the awkwardness, rising from the bed and clearing his throat. "I think they need some— time to talk." The younger mumbled, pushing Karl and Sapnap towards the doorframe. "We'll be back later George, glad to see you're feeling better."

George dared to call them back, to prevent himself from having to be lectured by the blonde, but he opted not to.

Dream closed the door behind the three, walking over and sitting down in the chair where Sapnap once was.

"What the hell were you thinking, George?" Dream looked up at him, his voice low, demanding. His eyes housed nothing but pent up anger— and concern? "Do you not realise you could've been killed!"

"I know." George whispered, looking anywhere but at Dream. But he didn't feel guilty, he felt nothing. "I didn't want you to get involved, this wasn't your fight."

Dream reached forward, gripping his hand. George felt it, his hand was trembling. His gaze rocketed to meet Dreams, and his heart fell when he noticed the tears beading under his eyelashes. "I was so fucking scared of losing you, so scared."

George averted his gaze quickly. "But you didn't, and I'm here, right here." He squeezed Dream's hand. "I'm not leaving again, not now, not ever."

"And how am I supposed to believe that?" Dream sighed, hand sliding out from George's grasp. "I thought we agreed to tell each other everything."

"We did—"

"Yet you lied to me."

"Dream—"

"Jesus Christ." Dream squeezed the bridge of his nose tightly between his fingers, a heavy breath falling from parted lips. "What if I hadn't of found you in time George? Do you know what it did to me seeing you like that?"

George leaned forward, cupping Dream's face with his hands and resting his forehead against the blonde's. "I don't tend to dwell on the what if's, they're a ticket to driving yourself insane."

A hue of laughter trickled from Dream's lips, and George grinned. "You're such an idiot."

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot." George's tail brushed against Dream's forearm, a purr rumbling from his throat.

Dream grinned and pulled away, green eyes rolling over George's new appearance. "Never would have expected a cat."

George deadpanned, "shut the fuck up."

Dream wheezed and George rolled his eyes, tail flicking in irritation. "Sorry kitty, please don't-" he stuttered between laughs. "Please don't scratch my eyes out!"

George shook his head, unamused, and with claws around his neck he muttered; "I hate you so much."

"You love me." Dream smiled up at him smugly.

That I do. He refused to say it out loud, and instead pressed a small kiss to the blonde's forehead, then allowed himself to sink back into bed.

And with Dream still at his side, he allowed his eyes to flutter closed again. It wasn't a happy ending to him, it was just an ending— how could it be happy when he still couldn't have the chance to learn about himself? He wanted to know why Devon allowed Wilbur to revive him, wanted to know what Devon meant by being the same as him, there were so many things George didn't know.

But at this very moment, with the comfort of his sheets and his soon-to-be mate lulling him to sleep, he couldn't find it in himself to care.

- • -
maybe vote? <3

what a fun little story huh?

i'll make some one shots in the future of what the gang gets up to, also some one shots that'll explain the reasoning behind devon being a shapeshifter :)

but for now, this is the official end. thank you so much for reading, it's been fun. i'm going to be honest, it's a shame i fell out of touch with this book towards the end, but i hope i didn't disappoint too badly with the ending.

p.s: go read my other book
The Boy From the Village when it's out !!