🌻A year earlierⁿ¹

Sunoo suffered from a three day fever after Sunghoon broke up with him. The three day rest actually helped for Sunoo to think and plan for his mission of taking Sunghoon back.

“Sunoo-hyung, just eat the meat,” Jungwon worriedly said.

He was so tired watching the older gag at the vegetables he was trying to eat. Every bite, Sunoo would drink water. In all honesty, Sunoo have dranked more water than he ate food.

“I can not, it's for my health,” Sunoo insisted.

Jungwon looked around the canteen, trying to look for Sunghoon. He could see him walking around the school but he was never in the canteen. Jungwon knew that Sunghoon is also avoiding Sunoo at max.

While Sunoo tries his very best to avoid the things he usually likes, trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Hoping that when Sunghoon sees his effort, he will come back.

Although Jungwon knows that Sunoo's sudden strict diet isn't leading him to a healthy lifestyle. It's just making it worst.

+++

One morning, Sunoo comes to school wearing a pink hoodie, which Jungwon knew as Sunghoon's gift to him last month. But it was not about the hoodie, it's about Sunoo's complexion which was too pale to be normal.

Jungwon asked repeatedly if the older was fine, but Sunoo always dismisses it.

“Jungwon I'm fine, don't worry about me,” Sunoo would always reply before averting the topic to anything else.

Jungwon doesn't want to push further the topic, setting aside his bad feeling about it— only to be called by the school's nurse on the middle of his class.

+++

The senior class was abruptly interrupted when a sophomore knocked on the door.

The instructor opened the door and revealed a crying Jungwon outside.

Sunghoon stood up immediately, suddenly feeling nervous and fear.

“C-can I excuse Mr. Park?” Jungwon spoke, trying hard not to choke on his own saliva.

Jungwon shows the instructor a letter from the nurse, excusing Jungwon and Sunghoon on their classes. After reading it, the instructor nodded.

Sunghoon didn't even wait for his name to be called in front, he quickly dashed out the room and ran off the school building. Jungwon following suit.

When they reached the groundfloor, an ambulance was already parked waiting for the patient which is currently in the clinic.

Not a minute later, a stretcher emerges from the clinic straight to the ambulance. Jungwon and Sunghoon didn't waste any second and got inside as well.

Sunoo has his eyes close, an IV on his hand and an oxygen mask on. The school nurse is currently injecting him some kind of clear liquid which is obviously a medicine.

Although the two boys have seen this happened a lot of time already, since they were in elementary, they could still feel the sudden rush of adrenaline on their body. With a fear of the possibility that it might be the last moment they could see Sunoo.

When the nurse was done, Sunghoon reached for Sunoo's hand, giving it a tight squeeze.

“Sunghoon?”

It was only a mere whisper, the confusement and pain in his voice can be heard. However, Sunoo released a smile through his oxygen mask.

“Is he awake?” Sunghoon asked.

The school nurse nodded, “He literally asked to call you and Jungwon before we rush him to the hospital.”

“He's afraid of needles," Jungwon says, remembering all the moments Sunoo clung onto him and Sunghoon because he doesn't want to be injected.

Eversince they became friends, Jungwon and Sunghoon always stand before him whenever he's getting injected.

+++

Lack of nutrients, vitamin B and dehydration. Lack of sleep, muscle soreness. Stress and fatigue.

Sunghoon knew that he was the cause of all of that.

“It's not your fault," Sunoo's Dad reassures him.

Sunghoon shook his head. No matter how everyone denies it, he knew it was because of him.

He broke up with Sunoo, making him feel pain, overthink and cry. Sunoo started starving himself to lose weights, he stopped eating meat products and started having uncontrolled work outs. And that's all because of what he said to him on that day they broken up.

“I know you two just splitted, and you're connecting everything to what had happened. Sunghoon, my son is already weak and dying before he met you. You cannot assume that this is all because of  you,” the doctor says again.

Sunghoon remained shaking his head no, tears brimming in his eyes.

It has been what? Five days?

Sunoo was still lying on the hospital bed, asleep.

It was actually more than fatigue and stress. Sunoo's first day in the hospital was only for the usual reason. On the second day though, he was rushed into the emergency room.

His heart decided that it was the perfect time to be lazy and decline it's role of pumping blood to circulate around Sunoo's body. Sunoo fell into a coma and up until now, he remained sleeping.

“Three months ago,” Sunoo's dad spoke again. “Sunoo gave me the permission to allow heart transplant if it's needed.”

“Heart transplant?” Jungwon butted in.

The doctor nodded.

“There were no signs of good changes in his heartbeat since yesterday, and all his doctor already recommend to take the surgery as well. As for now, we're already looking for a donor.”

Sunghoon clasped his hands together, remembering the talk he had with Sunoo three months ago.

Sunoo wanted to see the future, to be happy and free.

tengyu_