🌻N²

Jay, Heeseung and Jake stared at Ni-ki, sporting a ‘what is this kid saying' expression.

“What?” Ni-ki asked.

“You don't want a party? It's your birthday!” Jake exclaimed.

“What do you want, then?” Heeseung asked.

“A goodluck,” Ni-ki sheepishly smiled.

Jay continued staring at him with a huge disbelief in his expression.

“Why? What's your plan today?” Jake asked, confuse.

Ni-ki shook his head as he continued eating the breakfast Jay cooked for them.

“I think I need to inform Wonnie about this,” Jay said, already texting Jungwon.

“No, why are you telling Jungwon-hyung something you don't even know? I mean, I didn't tell you?” Ni-ki asked.

“Bro, you're like an open book to me,” Jay rolled his eyes.

Jake cleared his throat, “Care to share?” he asked with his eyebrows raised.

“I'm sending Ni-ki a badluck if none of you  will tell me about this,” Heeseung says.

Ni-ki only shrugged.

+++

Seonwoo was not oblivious. He could tell that something is going on behind his back.

Jungwon and Ni-ki kept exchanging weird stares, and even whispers something when he's not paying too much attention.

But Seonwoo didn't think about it too much. He only thought that it could be about Ni-ki's birthday.

“Good luck and don't push further if it's too much offensive and off to track," Jungwon says after getting inside Jay's car.

Ni-ki playfully saluted.

“What is that about? Are you two planning for something?” Seonwoo asked when the car's gone.

“Nothing,” Ni-ki says.

The two started walking on their way to Seonwoo's house.

“Sunoo-hyung,” Ni-ki spoke, watching closely at the older's reaction.

He wasn't as affected as before. The name started to sound free and nice, without bringing up the past.

“Hm?”

“May I know why you're so strict on your diet? I mean, you even stopped craving for your favorite snacks,” Ni-ki asked.

Seonwoo shrugged, with no signs of being uncomfortable.

“I'm trying to live a healthy life, Ni-ki. You know, last year I didn't care too much about my health. It's like I accepted the fact that I was going to die anytime soon, and I enjoyed my life.” Seonwoo narrated.

“What made you change?” Ni-ki asked.

A silence occured for a second. Ni-ki would've let it go and ask for another question to ease the atmosphere, but then Seonwoo finally speaks.

“Sunghoon-hyung,” Seonwoo says, truthfully. “I decided to take the heart surgery, hoping I will see him after I wake up. I decided to avoid the things I love and started living a healthy lifestyle, with the hope of him coming back to me.”

Ni-ki remained silent, listening attentively.

“But when I wake up after the surgery, all I ever receive was a break up letter and a dried bouquet of sunflowers. Sunghoon-hyung ended it there, with no second thoughts,” Seonwoo says.

“Ni-ki, can I tell you something?” Seonwoo asked.

Ni-ki nodded his head, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

“Whatever is your plan for today, I don't think I'm ready for it yet,” Seonwoo straightforwardly says.

“Sunghoon-hyung left a deep cut within me and it's still hurting. I still dream of the memories we had, both the happy and sad. For now, all I could offer is friendship,” Seonwoo continued.

Ni-ki didn't speak for a while.

He's having a hard time keeping his calm, trying to suppress the tears in his eyes.

“I'm...” Ni-ki spoke, “I don't know what you're saying,” he denies.

Seonwoo only nodded.

The rest of their walk remained silent. The fifteen minutes walk felt like an eternity.

Until finally, they reached their destination.

“Thank you for today, Ni-ki,” Seonwoo says, voice low and unsure.

“Happy birthday," he added before turning his back at Ni-ki and entered their house.

Ni-ki forced a smile on his lips before turning his back as well, walking back to a nearest bus stop.

He haven't said anything yet, but he's already rejected. What a happy birthday.

+++

Seonwoo skipped school the next day.

He doesn't know how to face Ni-ki. He knew he hurt his feelings and he's guilty about it.

He actually cried about it last night. He sees Ni-ki as a very important, special, person in his life.

He knew that what he feels about him was more than just a friend. But it scared him because he knew it was stronger than his feelings towards Sunghoon.

Seonwoo fiddles with the scented paper in his hand as he was sitting in front of his study table, staring at an old bouquet of dried sunflowers.

This was the last gift and last letter he received from Sunghoon.

He still remember the pain he felt when they told him that Sunghoon already left, that he will not comeback.

Seonwoo cried to sleep every night. He was in the hospital for the next three months before he was discharged.

The first thing he did was to check if Sunghoon really did left, and it's a heart breaking moment when he realized it's true.

He couldn't believe how easy it was for Sunghoon to leave him in his vulnerable moment, with only a letter and a bouquet of dried flowers as a compromise.

He believed he could never move on from the pain and heartbreak Sunghoon brought to him.

But then Ni-ki happened.

Seonwoo started opening the letter in his hands, suddenly re-living the pain of the past.

Sunghoon's beautiful handwriting greeted Seonwoo, and reading only the first sentence made him cry.

Sunoo, love.

tengyu_