Chapter 16: The Chamber of Truth

"Congratulations. You have impressed us both. Wolf, please step forth to the Chamber of Truth. You may ask us any questions you have, and have first choice at our creations."

Their blue veil fell, and a tiny room at the wall of the stadium opened. Within, there were two platforms. And beyond these two platforms, two jars of dust. Upon the first golden platform was a box, crystal and shining, rainbow shimmering upon its glass casing and seeming murmurs emanating from the magical looking machine.

Upon the second platform was what looked like a root cut from a tree. Golden and brown, ancient and old looking, tiny branches imprinted upon the small piece of everlasting nature.

Solan's eyes barely peered upon it before they returned to the shimmering crystal box. The more magnificent and grander of the two.

But his skin went hot and his heart sank when he was finally able to register the words of the Programmer's, after the immense intrigue of what lay beyond wore off and the words sank into his brain.

"What?!" He bellowed, slamming his hands on his podium which he dismounted, readying to enter the Chamber first. "Why does he get first access? I am the worthy! I am the finality! How dare you!"

Luka limped inside, wanting to get whatever this was, over with. His life still in the balance if he didn't get beyond the fortress and regain his Gift, and so, he'd have to be selective with his questions, quick with his conversation.

This was partly because he didn't care. He had no desire to learn who the Programmers were, after subjecting him and his friends to such evil. He didn't want to learn about monsters when one still stood next to him.

He only would ask the questions which would save Gaiathal. His remaining family. Nothing more.

Luka weakly staggered into the Chamber of Truth and the door shut behind him, Solan left seething that he appeared to win second place to the worthless boy.

**

Luka was barely in the Chamber of Truth for five minutes, when the door opened again and Luka left with the brown and golden root within his hand.

It made Solan even angrier.

This ingrate, this worthless Wolf, not even savouring this great privilege the Steward had afforded him, even taking the lesser of the two prizes as if he was some sort of humble saint.

And Solan grew even angrier at the new emotion in the boy's eyes. Apparent, misguided, foolish, hope.

"Why did you take that? What do you know now?" Solan shouted, stepping towards the weak boy to strike but the fortress holding him in place.

"We forbid you from harming your fellow winner within the fortress. Steward, please enter the Chamber of Truth. It is your turn."

Solan tried to calm himself, and reimagine what lay beyond for him to discover. He couldn't let this boy ruin this moment for him. It was the greatest moment of his life, and he couldn't let envy ruin it.

He would simply kill Luka beyond the fortress and discover this secret for himself, whatever had given Luka this new glimmer in his dying eyes. Because when it came to uncovering secrets, Solan was the best of them.

He angrily shrugged and stepped into the Chamber, leaving his anger and resentment in his wake.

The door shut behind him, his eyes shining and staring upon the crystal box now within his very grasp.

"Welcome, Steward. Once again, congratulations on your victory."

"Let's cut the chit chat. I want to know. I want to know everything. Who you are, what this planet is. The Trees, why this planet was hidden... Everything. From the very beginning."