Chapter 18

(Adithi)

The final bell rang and I got up and took my bag, and ran out of the classroom. If I am quick enough, I could grab the special chicken burger from the canteen. If I get late, it will all finish.

Thankfully I was fast enough and I bought one burger and began to run to the main exit of the building.

I felt someone grab my backpack. I stopped. It was Ishan.

"Just how many times I told you not to run." He said.

"It's fine. I feel all okay now. It's been six months since the accident." I said. "It's all healed."

"Six months is not enough to completely heal you." He snapped, "You being alive like this is a miracle in itself. Or else, do you think many people would have the credit to say they lived to see another day after getting trashed on to rocks by sea waves for more than four hours when they don't even know swimming?"

I bit to my lips. The feeling of getting trashed into those rocks by the sea waves was a feeling that I really don't want to get reminded of. It terrifies me when I get reminded of it.

And yeah, I can get terrified too, even when I am crazy and carefree like this. I am scared of the sea now. It would be weird if I was not. I still clearly remember getting out of breath inside the seawater, getting thrown at the sharp rocks... The pain, the blood.

I shuddered.

"Don't run," Ishan said as a warning again.

"Yes, Sir" I gave him a salute. It's not like I don't feel any pain now. My ribs and my head still ache sometimes.

We walked to the parking lot. Ishan got on his bike and started it, I climbed behind him. I come to and go from college with him on his bike.

"By the way," I said, going closer to him so as he can hear me over t bike's sound, "There is a benefit to have nearly died. After that everyone is so nice to me. Getting all attention. You and...then Suhana. I mean I used to always get ignored compared to her... But now, even at house things that I like are made for lunch and dinner. And mom and dad are pampering me more than Suhana now.... So it's enjoyable. And Suhana as well, she is friendlier with me now and does things for me, that she would have rolled her eyes on before the accident;"

Ishan laughed.

"And you as well..." I said in a soft voice.

He went a bit stiff...

"What about me?" he asked.

"I mean, your behaviour to me got a bit changed after the accident... I mean, not in a bad way...But..."

He went silent.

Hey, Ishan... Do you like me??? As in more than as a friend??

I took my key and unlocked the door to the apartment because mom and dad would still be at work and Suhana might be in coaching classes. But when I went in I saw Suhana's backpack near the couch. So she was back. I went to our room. It was dark inside. Lights were not turned on, and curtains were drawn in.

I switched on the lights and jumped in fright when I saw a figure on the bed, sitting all couched up, with her knees drawn up, and head bent down, so as her hair fell around her face.

But it was Suhana. She sure gave me a fright.

"You almost made me scream," I told her. "What are you doing sitting in the dark?"

She looked up at me. Her face was wet with tears and her eyes looked puffy.

"Woah... You are crying?" I asked, bewildered. I went and sat in front of her on the bed. "What is wrong?" She seemed like a total mess. And I have never seen Suhana like that.