Prologue

Maelin crouched, ready to leap if the Caemlin demon tried to run away. Closer and closer she crept, using her hands and feet, fox ears twitching. She tail swirled delicately, brushing past fern fronds without even the faintest rustle.

Her ears flicked and swivelled, as they picked up a noise. She turned her emerald green eyes slightly to the side, only for a moment, so as not to let the demon escape.

She looked back and saw the deer looking creature tense, about to spring away. She bunched up her muscles and, as she saw it, as if in slow motion, start to spring off the Ether ground, she leaped.

Her unusually long and sharp fingernails reached for it, ready to sink them in and cling on until either she or it tired out, but out of the undergrowth just next to where it had been standing a moment before, a monstrous Felid pounced, smashing into her with so much force she was winded. For a moment she lay there, panting.

Looking into the Felid's glimmering blue eyes, she was certain she would see her death there. But no, only curiosity. She reached for her mind, as she would for any other creature that hesitated to kill her, to see if she could take over control of its thoughts and direct it away. It could never convince prey to come to a hunter, but it could convince a hunter to leave its prey.

To her surprise, she found it protected by an unfamiliar barrier. Some of the more advanced demons had barriers, and it was true that she had sensed a Felid with one before, but this one was different. It seemed... Unintentional. Her breath recovered, she quickly stood up and started running. That was when it recovered its senses.

With a hiss it leapt again, and this time it pinned her to the ground. Growling lowly, dangerously, it lifted a paw and smacked it into her head, rendering her unconscious. Her last thought was one of confusion, why had it put her sleep first, instead of killing her straight away? Then darkness took over and she was gone.

~

In another world a group of students and their demons watched with amazed curiosity as there teacher's demon slowly, but steadily, dragged the demon girl towards the portal to Earth.