I take a deep inhale of breath and before I can stop the words leaving my mouth I admit the truth to the man who was like my father. "My mate rejected me." 

"What?!" He whisper-shouts. I could see the rage and anger in eyes but he was trying to keep my secret from the prying ears of my grandparents. 

"You heard, I found my mate at the pack and he rejected me." I admit as I close my eyes. "I can't stay here and see him flaunt his chosen mate. It's not fair to me or them." 

"Who was it Ellie? Surely you don't have to come in contact with him? I could make sure that you didn't see him when you have your check-in's, you wouldn't have to see him." He rants. 

I let out a dark chuckle. "Bit hard to do when your mate is the Alpha of your pack Uncle." It's then that the silence washes over us. The realisation hits his face as my words settle in his ear. I see the clogs ticking in his brain at the severity of the situation. 

"Your telling me that you are the Lotus' pack's true Luna?" The seriousness in his voice carries through. 

"Yes Uncle. I am a rejected Luna. It would be impossible for me to live here without seeing him. I need to leave. It is the only way for my wolf to heal and deal with this. The distance will do us both good. New York is far enough that it is away from my mate and familiar enough that I can build a home their." I explain. 

My uncle doesn't say anything. There is so much to say but words can't explain the pain. I know my uncle said that his mate died so he can empathise with how I am feeling. He knows what it's like to loose a mate, he understands what the separation does to your wolf. The only thing he can't comprehend is for it to be a choice. 

"Oh Ellie" he sighs out in pain. "I get it. I understand what you are doing. I just can't believe he did this to the pack, he's made a decision that affects us all." He finishes with the shake of his head. 

"Don't worry uncle, before he rejected me I gave him a telling off." I let out a laugh that was filled with a sob. 

"Good girl." He pulls me into his side and I rest my head on his shoulder accepting his comfort. "Don't worry kiddo, I will deal with your grandparents and help them accept your decision and I will keep your secret." He squeezes me tightly. 

"Thank you." I whisper out. 

End of Flashback

After that Uncle James helped me relocate to New York. He promised me that he would never speak of me to his Alpha again and that he would keep my location a secret. I didn't want my past following me. I wanted a fresh start in a City that had been my home for the last five years. My grandparents tended to visit me more and whenever Uncle James had business in the City he would stay at my apartment that he got me settled into. 

Being rejected wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I did discuss it with my Uncle and he stated that I wasn't the one who betrayed the bond so I would not be the one who suffered. He never spoke to me about the Lotus Pack but when he visited I could see that he aged more over the last two years. He looked stressed and worn out. I would often ask him if there was anything wrong but I could sense that work had become more difficult but he didn't want to tell me for fear of upsetting me.

I managed to get a job as a children's social worker and I spent my last two years excelling in my career. By the end of my first year of practice, I became a supervising social worker and I had taken some students under my wing, teaching them the routes and helping them settle in their internships. It wasn't long before my professors at University had contacted me and asked me to guest lecture. There wasn't one thing I hated about my life. 

After settling in the City, I was encouraged by my work colleagues to loosen up and start dating. A part of me was apprehensive but after a while I decided to dip my toe into the water. I was set up on blind dates which were all disastrous, I tried online dating which was terrible. After a few unsuccessful attempts of dating, I decided that I was doomed to be alone. 

It was one day that I wondered into my local coffee shop and I bumped into this blonde Adonis. His blonde hair was wispy and his brown eyes were deep and dark. He was dressed in a two piece suit and a crisp white shirt and for the first time in my life I felt my heart flutter. It was then that I realised that I he had spilt coffee down my dress and all he did was profusely apologise. 

It was then that he gave me the biggest smile ever, introduced himself as Seth and said if he could make it up to me with dinner and I shyly said yes. It was the first time I was nervous being around a man. I was normally confident, but he had a way to make me blush everyday. He sent me sweet messages, flowers were regularly delivered to home address, he was a true gentleman. 

For the first time in my life, I felt loved and cherished by a man who wasn't related to me. He took interest in my work, followed me and helped me when I volunteered. He made me feel like the only girl in the world. It wasn't until a couple of months into dating that he told me he was the CEO of a major company. I remember being annoyed he felt like he needed to hide that from me but he explained he was surrounded by woman who wanted him for his status and money. That was the night he told that he loved me and could see a future with me. 

At first my wolf was sceptical about the new man in our life but as time went by, she saw his affection and love he had for me. She soon came to love him as I did. She slowly started to come out of her depression and she began to live a life without her mate, I could sense her happiness through our bond. 

Everything felt like it coming together for me, i had a successful career, a family that loved me and a man who showed nothing but love and loyalty to me. We had now been together for over a year. I told him that I wasn't interested in a physical relationship until I was married. I told him that I was a virgin and all he showed me was respect for my boundaries. 

I was truly happy with the direction that my life was heading in.