Chapter 16: The First Trial

Chapter 16

Aside from a slight turbulence, the flight to California was uneventful. Magnus, however, had always hated flying. Before, it meant that Asmodeus was dragging him again to some foreign country to teach him the "craft of the business," which more often than not was full of blackmail, dirty deals and the illegal agreements that his young mind didn't process yet.

The incident with the Wards was the literal breaking point of his whole family.

After getting whipped infront of a leering young Arthur and his stone-faced father, Magnus would wake up screaming in the middle of a flight to the disgusted glare of his father. Ever since that repeated incident, Magnus would see to it that he wouldn't sleep in-flights anymore. Phantom stings on his scars continue to plague him even to this day.

He hated the Wards and his father more for what they had done to him.

However, with Alec just a couple of meters away from him, Magnus let his guard down and drifted off to sleep. He was awoken by the captain's voice warning of the turbulence and immediately glanced at Alec who was already staring at him. The Alpha looked away after being caught staring, ears red.

Magnus felt his heart constrict out of fear, but mostly because he wanted to reach out and seek the comfort of his Alpha. He didn't know, though, if his touch would be welcome. He slid back down into his seat and gripped the seat's handles tighter.

As soon as they touched down, they were welcomed by a helicopter pilot sent by Isabelle to fly them the rest of the way to the Lightwood Labs. Once Magnus got over his initial apprehension, his eyes lit up like a kid's at Christmas when he saw the views from the helicopter.

Alec kept his eyes on Magnus the whole way, the smallest bit of longing bleeding into his muted scent.

When they arrived, Isabelle and her assistant named Clary greeted him and Alec on top of the Lightwood Labs helipad.

"Isabelle," the Omega smiled and hugged the Alpha back just as equally tight as the younger Lightwood did when she launched herself at him. "We finally meet and you look absolutely ravishing, love." Magnus said, his scent taking on a flowery note, the scent of his happiness.

Alec gritted his teeth at the display of affection between his sister and the Omega, jealousy bubbling on the surface much to Izzy's amusement. His sister knew him best and she could pick up on the subtle bitter notes in his scent, even if Alec tried his best to control both his expressions and his scent. She dramatically roamed her arms on Magnus's back while her eyes danced looking at her big brother's struggle.

"Oh, Magnus. You flatter me! I am just wearing my scrubs. You beat me hands-down on style today. Also, I really can't get over how good you smell," she sing-songed before blowing a raspberry at Alec. Izzy looked appreciatively at Magnus' oversized cream-colored silk shirt with golden embroidered leaves tucked in a skintight black flared pants in boots.

The Alpha rolled his eyes at the theatrics and stiffly walked ahead.

"I have no time to waste, Iz, Let's just do it," Alec said without looking back at them, his back stiff and his pace brisk. Izzy stepped away from Magnus who shook his head in resignation. His flowery scent was soon replaced by the unpleasant scent of rejection and regret.

"What happened?" Izzy whispered, her voice kind and her eyes worried.

"I'll tell you after the experiment," Magnus promised in a soft, sad voice before hooking his arm with Izzy's.

---

Inside the lab, Izzy guided them both to two steel beds with elaborate chains. She gave them a resigned look. As always, with great pheromones comes great restraints, Magnus thought drily.