037

DAMON

Paige's pain is my pain. With our foreheads pressed to one another's we suffer silently. But despite the pain, the sensation of healing lays at our peripheries. And I know things will get better. I know she wants them to get better. But as I said, it takes time. Everything takes time.

"Are you in any physical pain?" I ask her, running my fingers through her hair as she pulls back slightly.

Her large eyes widen, reminding me of how beautiful she is. "No. Shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

I laugh softly, "I'm fine. It takes a lot more than a bear trap to get me down."

Paige narrows her eyes at me and I smile at her in response. With a slight grimace, I attempt to push myself into a sitting position but her hand places itself firmly on my chest, stopping me. "What do you think you're doing?" She asks sternly. I like stern Paige.

"I want to get up, there are things I have to do. Is the pack okay?"

"I don't know," Paige responds guiltily. "I haven't been answering anyone since Arlo came over... I kind of lashed out at him."

I attempt to pull her down to me but she refuses stubbornly. Frowning at her, I reply, "For good reason. He left out a very big detail in his story. Why won't you come here?" I can feel her heart squeeze at my response. Her affection is palpable in the air. I know either I am getting better at understanding her or she is getting better at letting me in.

"I don't want to hurt you," her eyes roam over the tubes protruding from me. "Alkaline said you should have been out longer than you were."

"Alkaline always underestimates how much sedative I need to keep me out for more than a few days. I am fine, Paige. Seriously, come here." I tug at her again and she resists.

"But-" She gestures to the IV and the catheter.

"For fuck's sake, take them out then. I want you in my arms." I know I am just distracting her, but I can feel the way it cheers her up. The roundness of her eyes is evidence enough.

"I don't know how!" She responds.

"I'll guide you then." I  begin by directing her to clamp the IV as I sit up against the headboard with another grimace from the soreness in my body. Then I help her remove the tape and pull the IV catheter out. Our eyes move down in the direction of the urinary catheter somewhere under the blanket. "Now for the fun part," I smirk.

Paige frowns with feigned disapproval, "You almost lost your leg but you didn't lose your humor, huh?"

I laugh softly, "Did you just make another joke, Paige? That's like the second one since I met you."

"Shut up and tell me what to do," She rips the covers away from my torso without hesitation, causing me to grin.

"Mind your hands," I tease.

"Seriously! Tell me what to do," She growls, unbearably attractive.

I directs her through the process of removing the catheter with minimal dirty jokes and when we're finished, she dumps everything into the trash bin and allows me to pull her onto my chest. Paige curls up on my lap, burying her face into my neck and breathing in my scent just as I inhale hers. In this moment, I know that one day we will both heal and move on. One day her memories from over the years and the last few nights won't haunt her so badly. I know for certain that we will love each other with everything we have.

"I love you," I whisper to her, feeling her face nuzzle closer into my neck and her lips kiss my mark. Her mouth sends a shiver down my spine and pricks the hair on the back of my neck.