Chapter 2

December 1996 (1:00am)

“You said you’ll let me go,” she said in a dead tone.

The man looked at her, his hands on the wheel, “I will. After you help me.”

“With what?” she turned her head away from him, her face unshed with dry tears.

“You’ll see,” he said, his eyes on the road, “Just be a good girl…”

March 21, 2011 (6:00am)

“I’m not a good girl anymore,” she whispered after waking up from that memory. She rolled on her back and stared hard at the white ceiling of her bedroom. After several seconds, she got up and walked to her living room and turned on the television.

No news of the kill yet.

Of course there wouldn’t be. He was just a mere nobody.

Tomorrow…tomorrow is a little bit of a big kill, she thought silently. Whirling around, she headed for her shower. Today, she’d go to work. Time was needed for her plan.

(8:00am)

“Can this be a budding serial killing?” Grace Tanaka asked her partner.

Lawson shook his bald head in denial, “No, it’s too early to say that.”

“The killer left a mark,” she pointed out at the picture of the kiss mark. “Serial killers always have a symbol or something.”

“It can be from anyone,” he said, putting a fresh stick of cigarette in his mouth.

She grabbed it from his lips, “How many times do I have to tell you?” she said, crushing the stick poison in her hand, “No smoking in the office.”

He ignored her and continued to stare at the pictures. “There’s no weapon found around the area, no prints, and the DNA doesn’t match anything from our database.”

“What about the description from the bar man?”

“Dead end. No one knew the lady.”

“Then I think we should follow that lead.”

He looked at her, “How? I just said no one else other than the bar man saw her. He can’t even give a fucking good description. Said he was too mesmerized by her eyes.”

“How about a sketch?”

“It’s easy,” he said sarcastically, “I can even draw it myself. I’ll just draw two little circles and color them fucking green.”

She frowned, “Really? That’s all we’ve got?”

He did not bother to nod. “The club’s freaking surveillance camera isn’t working as well, so don’t mention it.”

“Traffic cameras?”

He motioned his head over his table and said, “Enjoy watching them,” he took his jacket and put them on. “I ordered for every available video of the streets the victim and his attacker must have passed by—from the strip club to the alleyway where he was found.”