A BIT OF A BUMP IN THE ROAD

Glinda's tears had run dry a few minutes ago, and she used my handkerchief to wipe her dried tears and make up off her face. It left her skin tinged red and her eyes puffy, but in my opinion she still somehow managed to look beautiful.

"I didn't expect him to bring a girl," she mumbled.

"You're talking about George, aren't you."

She nodded, closing her eyes as a few stray tears slipped over her cheeks again. I reached out and wiped them for her as her shoulders sunk.

"What's her name?" Glinda mumbled.

"Angelina, she's on the quidditch team."

"Of course," she laughed quietly, "She's the one who was with Fred, wasn't she?"

"Yeah," I gently replied, lifting my hand to rub her back. Whenever I was upset and Fred did that, it made me feel better, at least.

We sat there long enough that I felt the anxiety in my chest bubbling up regarding Fred. I told him I'd only be gone a few minutes, but I couldn't just leave Glinda like this.

"Do you not want to go anymore?" I asked, perhaps I could go tell Fred that things were bad and Glinda needed me right now.

"Helloo?" I heard a familiar voice call out, like I had summoned him once again. "Where's the party."

I glanced over at Glinda, who nodded solemnly, before I called out to him.

"Over here, Fred."

"Hey, party people- Oh." He stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of Glinda. "Perhaps party people is not the proper term."

"No, you're quite right. Welcome to my pity party," Glinda replied dryly.

"What's going on?" Fred asked casually, sitting down on her other side.

"I don't-" She started, but stopped herself. "I wanted George to be my date to the ball. He never asked me."

Fred let out a low whistle as he looked up at the ceiling with a perplexed look on his face.

"That's tough," he said simply, "Us Weasley's are a bit dense. He probably had no idea."

"You're telling me," she muttered, "He has a whole other girl in there right now."

"Then make him regret not asking you," I blurted out. "That's what you told me to do with Fred, just follow your own advice."

"What?" Fred asked.

"I guess so," she sighed, wiping her face again. "I have no makeup on anymore, though."

"You still look amazing," I said with certainty, grabbing her hand. "Nobody will even be able to tell."

"You're sure?" She asked.

"I'm sure."

"Who am I even gonna dance with?" She stood hesitantly, and the two of us followed suit.

"Boys will be tripping over themselves to dance with you," I comforted, "Just walk in there like you're the shit and you'll see."

"Well," she let out a little smile, "If you say so."

The three of us walked in, and I was happy again when nobody seemed to notice our entrance. Glinda quickly found Hermione and decided to go over to her, maybe she needed a bit of girl comfort or something. I imagine Hermione would've done way better than me in this situation anyways.

"What's this about me and making me regret things?" Fred asked from behind me, leaning over my shoulder. I flinched at the sound of his voice, and turned to face him.