THE YULE BALL

The mirror in front of me was at a slight angle as it leaned up against the wall, and I couldn't help but stare endlessly at my appearance, searching for any imperfection. I had talked to Hermione earlier yesterday regarding hair--I had no idea what I was going to do to tame my curls and had asked her what she planned to do.

"I've got this charm I found," she revealed, opening a book nearby, "And you'll want to put this in your hair."

I'd followed her advice to a tee, and I looked approvingly over my slicked back hair. Sure, a few strands had escaped and bounced against my forehead, but it looked much more formal than the usual tangle on top of my head.

"Soot, you look fine," Jeremy commented from across the room, "I'm sure Weasley will be drooling."

"Oh, please," I muttered, readjusting my tie.

I glanced over at the clock in the room to make sure I wouldn't be late to meeting with Glinda and the twins. She insisted we all four needed to enter together so people knew we were a party. She had called it her 'last resort plan' because something hadn't worked out like she wanted, whatever that meant. I wasn't too worried about it, I was much more worried about how the ball would go down with...well me and Fred.

All throughout Hogwarts I didn't know a single other couple of boys who would be dancing together at the ball, I don't know if I have the guts to be the first.

"Alright, I'll see you all later, then," I said before leaving the dormitory.

There were groups of students all over the common area chatting happily about the ball, and I had to do a double take as I saw Halla in the corner humming to herself.

"Halla," I came over to her, "You look stunning."

She smiled happily, doing a polite bow with her head and running her hands over the skirt of her pale yellow dress.

"Thank you, I hope Jeremy feels the same."

"I imagine he'll feel much more strongly about it than me," I sheepishly replied.

"Are you off to the ball already? It won't start for another while."

"I'm meeting up with a group, but I had to let you know how nice you looked."

"Well," she blushed lightly, "Thank you, Thomas. You look quite dapper as well."

I smiled in response, giving a short wave as I walked quickly out of the common room and into the cold hallway. I was supposed to get to the entrance of the ball and find the others, knowing Glinda she would already be there looking perfect.

However, when I got there I didn't spot any of them. Standing outside the ball alone made me feel a little embarrassed as guys walked by me with dates hanging off their arms, clearly assuming I was alone or being stood up.

Did my hair still look nice? Hermione didn't tell me how long it would last, and I wonder if I put my coat on properly? Nobody had ever taught me how to put on dress robes, and it was shockingly complex, or maybe I was just dumb.

"Hey there," a voice called from behind me, and I turned to see Fred giving me a wave as he and George approached, "Where's the queen?"

"I've no idea, I was hoping you-" I looked behind him to see a pretty girl standing beside George.

"Ah, this is Angelina," George chipped in, and she extended her hand to me.

"Hello, I've heard much about you. All good things, of course," she smiled and for a moment I questioned if I was gay.

"I would hope so," I replied, smiling a bit.

"Did Glinda say anything earlier?" Fred asked, sticking his hands in his pockets and scanning above the crowd for some familiar blonde hair.