Brave

Four years old...

Felix sat fuming on his small pile of furs. He'd been unfairly punished; grounded for not one week but two with so much as only one meal a day and no play time. The first week because he'd gotten in trouble alongside Fang. All because he'd accidentally gotten rough in play with Fang and hurt his baby brother he has an additional week. Plus it didn't help that Blood Ridge's alpha and his son were here. He was so humiliated.

It was an innocent mistake, he hadn't meant to do it but his father didn't want to hear it. His back was to the entrance as he faced the wall just so that if his father came in he'd want to show his alpha he could endure his punishment in solitary confinement...or so he felt it to be.

His ears twitched at the smallest sound in the entrance. He sniffed the air and saw red. How could Fang have the guts to come here knowing how angry he was?

Fang quietly closed the distance between them although he sensed his brother's lethal mood. He was concerned for his brother and wanted to make sure everything was alright. He was certain Felix had heard him come in but for whatever unfair reason, he chose to ignore him.

The sub pup climbed onto the pile of furs and lightly tapped his brother's shoulder.

"Go away, Fang!" Felix said in stern tone. The sub pup shrunk away but didn't leave. How could he? It was his fault his brother was in this situation. If he'd just been a little stronger and hadn't cried out then maybe they wouldn't be here.

Gently, Fang tapped his brother's shoulder again.

"I said get out! I hate you!" Fang shrunk back scampering off the pile of furs as his brother turned to face him. He faced his brother's full fury. The sub's eyes filled with tears at what his brother said.

He hates me.

Fang couldn't bear the pain those three words put him through. Quietly, he got up off the ground with his head hung low, ears flat against his head and his tail between his legs. But before he left, he looked up at his brother, and rolled the apple he'd brought to him with a nudge with his nose. He turned and began walking out of the cave room.

Felix looked at the apple and felt absolutely horrible about himself now. He'd yelled at his little brother and said he'd hated him when all Fang wanted to do was to make sure he was alright and that he had something to eat. Looking at the sub walking away, Felix could see now that he'd hurt his brother.

"Fang!" Felix called. The sub stopped in his tracks and slowly turned around. The future dominant pup placed a paw on his brother's shoulder. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't-"

He was cut off by a sound they knew all to well and in the past year had also come to fear. Their alpha's voice. Jack was walking in their direction and the boys hadn't had time to disappear when the alpha saw them both.

While Felix's punishment was to remain grounded with only one meal per day, Fang was restricted from communicating with his brother until his punishment was over. Terrified of what their alpha might do, both boys had been too afraid to move. Jack approached and yanked Fang behind him. The sub pup whimpered ducking his head as he felt his father's anger.

The alpha violently gripped his dominant son by the arm and dragged him back into the cave room ignoring Felix's cries for his father to loosen his grip. Terrified for his brother, Fang ran after them tugging at his father. "Dad stop!" Fang cried begging their father to stop hurting Felix. His tries were futile as Jack threw the dominant pup across the floor, the child sliding next to the pile of furs.

"You are not leaving this room!" Jack yelled at his eldest. He spun on Fang making the pup shrink back. A whimper escaped him as his father swung him up into his arms. The sub boy peeked over his father's shoulder to see his brother lying in the pile of furs with his head ducked down low and his ears flat against his head.