Day Six

TW: mentions of homophobia, death, and one f-slur

George POV

Exhaustion weighed heavily on George's body upon return. Sweat lingered on chlorine scented skin where water had washed away layers of sunscreen. Even Dream's normally spunky attitude had been dampened slightly, shoulders drooping tiredly, but still smiling. 

The pair had said quick goodnights before retiring to their own rooms for showers and sleep. George had fallen asleep only moments after he snuggled into warm blue fabric.

Pale sunlight peeked through the blinds of George's room, which seemed darker than usual. Rolling over in the cool sheets, he listened carefully. The house was quiet, silence drifting on the still air. He must've woken before Dream for once.

Dream...

Pale lines etched in lightly tanned skin haunted George's thoughts. It wasn't like he hadn't seen scars before, his own skin certainly had its own canvas, but.... something about the seeing memories of agony branded into Dream's body bothered him. 

He couldn't believe the dirty blond had gone through all that alone, and George never even suspected it. Perhaps it wasn't the bloody tears in flesh that hurt the most, but the smiles that hid darker thoughts. 

We're in this together, idiot. George's own words echoed in his mind. He meant what he said, and even though his stomach twisted in anxiety, he wanted to hold to his word. Dream was honest with him, and George knew the courage that took. 

Biting his lower lip nervously, George waited until he heard soft footsteps down the hall before rising from his warm blankets. His feet sank into fluffy carpet, twisting his doorknob open quietly. 

Hushed humming drifted around the kitchen, and George peeked in to see the dirty blond standing in front of the fridge with ruffled hair, green eyes still bleary with sleep. His humming was cut off with a yawn as he reached into the fridge for a bottle of water. 

George soaked in the adorable scene for a moment before entering the kitchen. "Good morning." 

Dream yelped, spinning around. His water bottle slipped from his hands, rolling over the tile floor. The fridge clanged shut behind him. His wide emerald eyes relaxed when they met mocha, clutching his chest dramatically. 

"George! You scared the shit out of me!" 

George laughed, his nerves unraveling slightly. "Sorry, I didn't know you scared easy." 

Dream wheezed, bending down to pick up the bottle he'd dropped. "You're not normally up this early, and I was half-asleep." 

George studied the now wide-awake dirty blond. "You look awake to me." 

"Well I am now." Dream ruffled the brunette's hair. "Good morning, Georgie."

Brown strands tumbled together messily, warmth sinking from George's scalp to his cheeks. He grabbed Dream's palm in his. "Stop that." 

Dream smiled, and made his way to the couch. "I'll make breakfast soon, anything you want in particular?"

"Uh, no. I mean thank you, but you don't have to do that." George winced at how stupid he sounded, following Dream to where the dirty blond flopped down with his water.

"I enjoy it." Dream reassured him. 

George sighed, sinking onto the plushy couch near the dirty blond. He nudged Dream's shoulder lightly. "Simp."

Dream laughed. "Oh, I'll get you back for that one." 

"Sure you will, simp."  George met Dream's teasing gaze for a moment. "Dream, can I... talk to you?"