Chapter 4: Warning Signs

Elizabeth sits cross-legged on a couch within the Argent's living room while Victoria poured her a cup of tea and Chris sat on a couch across from her. He kept a wary gaze on her, tapping his foot on the floor anxiously. Elizabeth could smell the controlled fear emanating from him, mixed in with worry and nervousness. Victoria, on the other hand, had that scent of fear, but it was overtaken by anger and killing intent.

Victoria finished pouring the tea and handed it to Elizabeth who gave her a grateful smile.

"Thank you." Elizabeth said and Victoria returned her own smile.

"You're welcome." Victoria said in a sickly sweet voice, it was quite impressive to Elizabeth for someone to keep up such a façade with that much rage inside, something they seemed to have in common at the very least.

"Why are you here?" Chris finally asked as Victoria sat down next to him.

"Why am I in your home or this town?" Elizabeth asked for clarification.

"Both." Victoria coldly replies, her kind façade immediately dropping.

Elizabeth sips on her tea, an action Victoria took notice of. She puts the teacup down on the coffee table and sighs, leaning back on the couch.

"I wanted to live a simpler life." Elizabeth replied with a shrug "Beacon Hills seemed like the perfect place for a new start."

"Beacon Hills is protected by trained hunters who are experts of their craft. They-" Chris was about to continue, but Elizabeth cut him off.

"Do you really think any of that scares me?" Elizabeth asks, silencing him "This is the first time we formally meet, but the history between your family and I is centuries old. I find what you do impressive. Many supernatural creatures should be kept in check and I find it admirable that humans have risen to the task. Your family is one of the few that has earned my respect, but that does not mean you can get cocky. The Argents are still one of the few hunter families that are thriving because my respect for you saved your family from the massacres I brought upon the others."

"You spared us out of respect?" Chris asked.

"And, because I was tired." Elizabeth replied, looking at the fireplace with a distant look in her eyes "Back then, I was what you would truly call a monster. Men, women, children, I have spilled the blood of them all. That insatiable bloodlust was a part of me that had to be suppressed, locked away to avoid many more tragedies. That is why I moved here, and why I have come to see you."

"To threaten us?" Victoria asks.

Elizabeth looks at them and shakes her head "To issue a warning. If the Argents stay out of my family's way, then we will do the same, simple as that."

"A threat like you just can't be ignored." Victoria stated.

"You can try to hunt me," Elizabeth said with a shrug "I may not be the same person as I was from the past, but I am still capable of fighting to protect those I care for."

"Do you really expect us to be fine with just living in a town filled with werewolves? The stories have always made it a known fact that the great Elizabeth Beowulf is an alpha of a large and dangerous pack." Victoria said.

"It's just me and my two daughters in town." Elizabeth replied, picking her teacup up "The rest of my pack are living their lives in different places of the world."

"Was telling us that smart?" Chris asked.

"Would hunting us be smart?" Elizabeth asked with an unamused look and both Chris and Victoria stayed silent, knowing the answer to that question. Elizabeth took their silence as confirmation and rose an eyebrow "So? Are we in agreement?"