But once you made it back to his house, you showered and rejoined him downstairs. "What did you make?" you asked as you see the mess of a kitchen.

"Scrambled eggs," he said, eyes glued to the laptop and never drifting.

"Scrambled eggs? It's nearly two in the afternoon?" you laugh but continue to serve yourself a plate. You plopped down on the couch next to him, keeping your eyes from averting to his laptop. There was a way his posture was that showed he wanted privacy.

You scooted away, nearly hitting the arm of the chair as you took a bite of the eggs. Taking a bite, you nearly barfed at the taste of them. Unseasoned and overcooked.

"That's all I know how to cook. Jessica usually takes care of meals after Haley, and I never learned really," he explains it like a robert, so hyper focused on his screen that he could pass for an iPad addicted toddler.

You clear your throat and push your legs under you. "Maybe I could teach you to make something for dinner? I know plenty of recipes and I wouldn't mind." You whisper the suggestion, scared that he would find offense in your comment.

After cooking for Axel for so many years, you learned to adapt to the life in the kitchen. It was the only grounding you had living in that house. You put the plate on the coffee table and wait for his response. He snaps out of whatever work trace he was in and looks at you with a small yet considering smile.

"Are they really that bad? I'd assume I wasn't horrible at everything involving the kitchen."

You nod shyly, biting down on your lip to prevent the smile threatening to break out on your face. "It's okay though, I taught you how to make french toast and this would just be a bigger step into your new career,"

Eyebrows quirked up, he closes his laptops and shifts closer to you. "My new career?"

"Yes! As a mediocre chef! We all start out as beginners as that is just how life works and maybe- Jack will appreciate it."

"Oh sweetheart," he chuckled, shifting even closer. You didn't feel hunted or uncomfortable, the tone was playful and you trusted this man with all your heart. "That was the last straw."

"Oh is that right?" you teased lightheartedly, "Last time I checked, you're really a big softy on the inside, darling. And you enjoy, cookies- and- cream- ice- cream- and- won't- admit- it."

"I'm not soft," he counteracts. It was weird seeing him like this, in such a teasing manner yet to be composed perfectly. Rarely did he ever break like this, at least before you knew him.

"You so are! You don't like showing though, you think it makes you seem like a grandpa," you slowly lean in towards him, gripping into his thighs for support as you pronounce your words with exaggeration.

He sucks in a breath but you don't even realize what you're doing, your mind flipping switches to see how far you can push him before he finally lets up. Admittedly so, you were very close, so close that you could feel his heartbeat while you weren't even pressed against him. No one in the world can remain so cool and collected while being insulted, for you finding his breaking point seemed like a mission in life.

"I can't see where your perception of me comes from," his voice is deep and husky, contradicting the tone it had moments before. "Had Garcia told you something I'm not aware of?"

"Trust me, if Garcia told me- the entire team would have already known. She cannot keep a secret for the rest of her life."

Faces inches from his, you squeeze into his upper thighs so you don't fall. His hands grip around your forearm with a shuddering sigh. "I disagree with you. She is very good at secrets, that is why we hired her apart from her technical skills. I'm not that old."