Chapter 42

Chapter 42

"Long Live . . . the Alpha," Daoming repeated as though he wasn't sure if he wanted to embrace his new subjects as their leader or to execute them for treason to his father, the emperor's reign. He repeated those words under his breath as though he had gone mad.

I knew I had to intervene before his distant memories of being the Sixth Prince took over, and he killed us all. Running up to his side, I clasped my hands around his. His hand flinched when he felt my cold hands. I knew that my half-human hands must have felt like ice to a man with not just Lycan blood running through his veins — but divine Lycan blood.

"The gods chose you. You are Julong, the God Slayer, Alpha of the Mongli today, of the world tomorrow. Don't forget who you are."

I turned back to the sniveling wolves, who were all crouching down in fear that they displeased their Alpha. What did Alpha wolves do to punish their subjects? I didn't know for sure. I suppose rip out their hamstrings, tear out a tongue or an eyeball here or there, or cut off their noses. They were terrified that Alpha Tian was about to lay down an edict that would cause them a world of suffering.

Daoming shook his head to clear his mind of thoughts of loyalty to his late father, the emperor. I didn't know if I was saving our people, the magical creatures, by bringing Daoming here to be their leader or exterminating them.

All I knew was that Daoming was their best chance at survival. He was once a talented Prince, perhaps the most promising Qing Wang. The emperor had the misfortune of overlooking Daoming's talents when he picked his sickly favorite son to become the Crown Prince. Daoming might not know it yet, but his empathy for magical creatures, the same empathy that made him fall in love with me, will make him a great ruler in his own right.

These were a people who needed him, who could use a different way of thinking. It was something a leader like Alix, who was a slave to his father's way of doing things, could never bring them.

I saw this now as clear as the daylight which these nighttime creatures so abhorred. Daoming would bring peace to their lands, and he would resist the Imperial City's influence when his father died and his brother, the weak-willed Crown Prince became emperor.

"You'll create your own legend," I purred into Daoming's ear as I stood on my tiptoes to reach him. He was so tall now. I felt his body was harder than the chalky rocks of that sacred mountain where his human body died. His new form was born on those rocks, and it was as though he had become as hard as that mountain. "Long live Alpha Julong. He is as close to immortality as one could find on this frail, lonely earth of ours."

"Thank you, Selene," Daoming whispered back and kissed my forehead. "Selene Yue. Did you ever wonder why you were named after the moon? Perhaps, since you were born, you were destined to be my Luna."

I smiled at him even as the tears formed in my eyes. His gaze hardened as he saw the sadness in my eyes. He knew I couldn't stay with him to guide him through the challenges ahead. His destiny was to save my people, but my destiny wasn't to remain here by his side.

"I will always love you, Daoming. I have always loved you." I kissed his lips in return and tasted the slightest hint of blood. The transformation wasn't perfect yet. He hadn't yet learned to keep his saber-sharp canine teeth from scraping against his lips. The lessons will come to him in time. Perhaps, one day, I'll see him in all his glory.

"You are their king now and mine."

For now, I stroked a lock of his black hair away from his face. Even as a bandit, he always wore his hair in a neat topknot tied with a strip of black fabric. As a wolf, Daoming's hair hung wild and loose around his face. Only his clean-shaven face was a giveaway that he had once been an upper-class youth from a pampered home. Soon, when he grew a beard like the rest of his new compatriots, he would look like a wolfman through and through. I mourned for the Prince that died, but I bent my knee before the Alpha who stood here before me.

Daoming grabbed my elbows to keep me from bowing before him. He shook his head as though to say such a gesture was unnecessary.

"As your king, I command you to stay here with me, by my side until the end of time."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"I just can't," I whispered. The truth was, I didn't know why. There was a force drawing me back south to my home. I just knew in my heart of hearts that my place was not here, by Daoming's side.

"When will I see you again?"

"You'll find me where you always found me. In your dreams. I know you'll always be in mine."

"Only in my dreams?"

"There is where the dragonfly resides. You always told me that. Perhaps it is my nature just as being a wolf is now yours."

~*~

I stuck to the plan. The following day, around noon, I packed a small scarf folded around an extra set of clothes and a handful of iron coins. The wolves didn't ride horses into battle, so they had little use for the spare horses that roamed the battlefield after their soldiers had fallen. I intended to steal one of the horses to ride back south. I didn't expect to find Daoming waiting for me just beyond the border of the werewolf camp.

He was on horseback, with his hair tied up in a topknot again. For a second, it was easy to ignore the yellow light from behind his hazel eyes and imagine him as a majestic Prince. For a second, he took my breath away, and I wanted to run to him, my bandit love.

I stopped myself even as my feet started heading in his direction without consulting with my mind.

"I'm not here to beg you to stay, Selene," Daoming rode his horse toward me once he realized I had no intention of going to him. "I came to see you off."

"Thank you," I muttered under my breath. I couldn't look him in the eyes. Perhaps, I was afraid that if I did, he would see the heart that still loved him. Looking at me, perhaps I would transform back into that young, naive girl who once gave her entire self to him. No, I kept my eyes on the ground even as he dismounted from his horse and reached for my hand. Briefly, I glanced up as his skin met mine. If he had clasped my palm in his and begged me to stay, I might have given in.

But no, he did not. Instead, he placed the horse's reins in my hand and closed my fingers around the leather.

"Safe travels," Daoming whispered. Then he seemed hesitant, as though he didn't know what to say next. I kept my eyes to the ground because I didn't want him to see the doubt behind my eyes. Did I really need to go back to the humans? Perhaps, I could learn to live among the wolves, to be their Luna.

No! Stop it!

I was no longer that girl. I swore to Alix that Daoming wouldn't hurt me again. I couldn't stay here with Alix, and I refused to stay here just because the Alpha now embodied the form of my long-lost bandit Prince.

Daoming didn't beg me to stay. Perhaps, he understood that my place wasn't here. Instead, he cupped the back of my head and brought me in for a kiss. It was a simple peck on the lips, but it brought tears to my eyes.

"I'll always be here, waiting for you. Just as before," Daoming whispered into my ear before stepping away so that he was no longer blocking the road. "You'll come back to me. I know you will."