1. Prologue | Retro

"Why...you said...You'll never leave my side"
Words of disbelief he thought.

(3 months ago..)

It was a dark eerie place. Signs everywhere. But only an Octoling would understand. Or maybe if you were good at reading Octarian? However, the odds were unlikely. It was glowing a dark mist around the falling sparking cables. The echos of screaming can be heard from a distance as well...a scream for help? As the scream echoed loudly the mist spreads further.
A fellow blue, glowing squid respawns to the spawn point once again. "Shoot! One more mess up and I'm done for!" The strange blue inkling with sliver pilot goggles and hero suit set had a worried expression. It looks like he is done for, a goner! "I won't let down! Goggles never gives up!" Goggles got up and dashed into the arena where the opponent was waiting. "You just never give up peasant." The opponent got up with a huge roller that was formed into a katana. "They don't call me the Octo Samurai for no reason!" The Octo Samurai jumps around the arena like a ping pong ball, swinging the roller. "Haha! Missed me!" Goggles were able to dodge all of their attacks with a technique called 'Squid Lightining Jet'. He learned this new move from his 'friend'. "Friend..?" Goggles froze for a minute. The memories flowed through. Such flashbacks kept reappearing to him. It was now a frequent occurrence. "Oh...him again. Where is he?"  Before he can come back to reality, a loud sudden BANG noise strikes. Knocking the poor inkling out of the arena with the roller. The Octo Samurai had the advantage of the victory.

"GAME OVER"

"DARN IT!!!! I can't pass this level!" Goggles became frustrated from this arcade game. Another inkling who had green hair and eyes, with a Black Inky Rider Jacket, and Octoling boots accompanied with Goggles to the arcade,  giggles for a bit then stopped. "I mean, it's only a simulation game. You don't have to be too serious about it." "But Rider! I want to pass the game!!" Goggles insisted but unfortunately, no more coins left to put on the arcade machine. "Sorry Gogs, but you used all of them over the claw machine trying to get that Zapfish plushie." 'And failed so miserably too..'  Rider thought as he replays the scene in his mind.

"Riderrrrrr. This stupid claw thingy won't let me get that yellow Zapfish plushie!!" Goggles whined as tears formed a bit in his blue eyes. "Tch, it makes you shut up, then I'll try to get it for you." Rider puts the second to last token in the claw machine, carefully making his move to find the right angle to find the perfect moment. "NOW!!" He presses the button quickly, anxiously waiting to see if the claw would have a secure grab of the small object. The stare of Goggles eyes was priceless he thought. Trying to keep his high hopes was something that makes Rider smile. Slowly, the claw grabs the object. Struggling to keep it still. A huge battle between being caught or freedom. "*Click*" That was a good sound to hear. The claw grabs the object and drops it soon after. The LED sign displays "WINNER" in big bold letters on the top of the machine. "YAYY! Thanks, Rider!!" Goggles rushed to get his plushie. Hugging like it would squish someone quicker than a Dynamo Roller would. "I'll name it...No actually...Rider! You name it!" The blue squid's eyes sparkled.  "You manage to get this for me..its only reasonable for you to name it!" Rider looked around, seeing everyone giving weird stares toward the fellow two squids. "Not now." "Rider wh-" Before the blue squid could say anything, Rider grabs him by the collar of his Eggplant Mountain coat, dragging him away from everyone with an irritated face.

"Hehe! Earth to Rider! You still haven't named the Zapfish silly!" Goggles was never good at picking names. "Fine... I don't know, name it Hydro or something." "HYDROOOO!!!" Goggles jumped to Rider and hugged him. "EEM?" Rider was shocked by the sudden surprise. He has never received a hug in years. It felt, warmhearted to say the least Rider thought. "Maybe...not here. We are in a public place and I don't want rumors to start" He looks away in shame. "Okay!" Goggles lets go of him. A sudden rumbling noise from a stomach can be heard. "Gosh...I'm hungry." Goggles can feel his upset stomach. It pains him a bunch. "I'm starving too, you want something from that new restaurant that just opened across the street?" Rider offered as he hated seeing this small squid upset. "Sure!! But don't spend too much...Rider." Rider nodded. As they both got out of the arcade, they encountered someone familiar.

"Hey, little dudes!"