Twenty - Five

I stared at the bare wall with no emotion on my face, but my chest ached nonetheless, and my thoughts were running a thousand miles an hour. I pushed myself up onto shaky legs and headed towards the stairs leading upstairs.

                    *Flashback*

I was outside since Mommy was having one of her secret meetings that I wasn't allowed to be around for when I noticed a little boy crying so I headed over when I noticed he had a busted lip, "what happened?" he sniffled, "nothing." I crouched so I was in front of him and noticed he had a black eye as well a sight that I was familiar with when looking into the mirror nowadays. I looked towards my house and gulped. I headed to it and took a deep breath before darting inside and upstairs to the bathroom to get into the medicine cabinet.

I grabbed my little step stool and kneeled onto the counter so I could reach the cabinet behind the mirror but once I got what I needed and tried to get down I slipped and hit my head on the corner of the sink making blood gush from my temple. I gathered the supplies and sprinted as fast as my little legs would carry me until I was outside again. I quickly covered the gash with gauze to hide the gash then placed my hair in front of it so he wouldn't see it. I felt woozy as I headed towards him but I brushed it off, "my name is Y/n."

The little boy looked at me with teary eyes, "I'm JJ." I smiled, "do you mind if I clean that cut I don't want it to get infected." he hesitated before shaking his head and lifting a little so I could see the split in his lip a little better. I lifted my hand, "I'm gonna touch your face, is that okay?" He slowly nodded and I gently placed my hand on his cheek so I could tilt his head to a slightly better angle, "now this is gonna burn so grab my hand and squeeze when it hurts, but you look like a tough guy."

A small smile cracked onto his lips. I offered him my hand and he took it, "alright here we go." I gently dabbed at the cut with the alcohol and he immediately squeezed my hand but I quickly dried off his lips and smiled, "see all done."

                *Back to Present*

I ran my hand along the railing remembering how many times I sprinted up them to avoid the inevitable. My eye flashed to the basement door and my heart sank to my stomach and I jumped almost letting out a scream but I placed my hand on my chest taking a quick breath but I was silently thankful for whoever was at the door. I swung it open to see Steve and I clenched my jaw, "what are you doing here?" he looked at me bewildered, "what am I doing here are you serious?" I lifted a brow at him.

"We simply got a message from Nat saying, "I'm alive but I need time away" are you serious c'mon Y/n we were worried." I shook my head, "you weren't worried when you left me in Sokovia." his face dropped, "you left me in a different country which you had ripped apart. They didn't see me as an ally, they wanted me dead Steve but you weren't there to see that were you?" I was livid, "so don't give me that act, why are you here?" he sighed, "like we said we were worried you haven't answered your phone at all."

I rolled my eyes, "I turned it off because like I said I need time so just go back to New York." I went to shut the door but he caught it, "Bucky was framed for murder." I froze, "w-what?" I let out a disbelieving laugh, "you're joking." his face didn't budge and I swallowed thickly as I tried to comprehend what he said, "he's framed." Steve nodded and I leaned against the door for support, "why?" Steve shrugged, "Steven do not shrug at me I can see by that look in your eye don't bullshit me." he looked down.

"Hydra wants him back. They lost both their best assets and they're trying to get one back." I felt like I was gonna pass out, "he's safe isn't he, h-he's not with them right?" I looked at him tearily and he shook his head, "we still have him but it's not him." my heart squeezed with pain, "Winter?" he nodded and i closed my eyes letting out a breath through my nose, "fine but I'm coming back here after we sort it out because I still need time." he went to sigh something but sighed, "okay fine but we need to leave."

I nodded and looked around the bare house one more time. I stepped out onto the porch and locked the door behind me, "I need to do one thing before I go though." he nodded, "I understand let me come with you." I shook my head, "no meet me at the ferry." he looked conflicted, "I promise I will meet you there because no matter how much time I need I still love you both understand that I just need to figure it out okay?" he nodded and he went to walk away but I grabbed his hand.

"Be careful please I know some of the people here and I-" he nodded, "I'll be careful I promise." he kissed my forehead and held me for a second before turning and heading in the direction of the docks. I couldn't help the small smile that crossed my lips before I turned and ran in the direction of the Chateau. Once I got there I was panting and they looked at me, "are you okay?' I nodded, "yeah fine." I took a deep breath and peeked inside to make sure JJ was still asleep and luckily he was so I shut the door and plopped into one of the chairs.

"I'm leaving." John B looked at me, "I'm coming back but." I licked my lips trying to figure out what to say, "I'm needed, that's all I can say." they all started shouting at me and the door swung open revealing JJ who rubbed his eyes, "what's all the yelling about?" he chucked then looked at me and my expression and his face dropped, "you're leaving again? Were you gonna tell me?" I gulped trying to ignore the shaking in my hands, "yes I was going to tell you I promise I was but I'm coming back." he shook his head.

"How could you-" he turned and ran his hands through his hair making me stand and hug him from behind, "I promise JJ I am coming back I just need to resolve an issue they can't." he quickly spun around, "promise me, promise me you're coming back." I gave him a soft smile as I looked up at him, "I promise I'm coming back love." I dug the key out of my pocket, "this is the key to my house." I placed it into his hand and he tried to protest, "make the walls soak in some happy memories this time around."

He knew where I was from and what I just gave him. I turned to Pope, "take this." I gave him one of my spare cards, "I don't trust them not to buy something stupid although I'm sure it'd hardly effect my bank account." they all chuckled at me but Pope gratefully took the card, "thank you." I looked at Kiara, "I hope we can fix whatever tension is between us when I'm back because I'm sure you're a sweet girl and all but I don't regret what I said earlier." she nodded, "I'm looking forward to it."

I looked back at John B, "don't do anything too stupid please." he gave me his charming smile, "who me?" I rolled my eyes, "yes you loser." I squeezed JJ one last time, "I have to go." I looked at the group again, "I'll explain everything once I get back." I looked back at JJ "promise." I backed away from JJ and grabbed my bag that I never really unpacked from inside the doorway, "see you in a bit." they all waved as I turned to walk away.