*13*

DECK THREE - SHOPPING DISTRICT – MORNING

A cleaning robot scurries along the shopping street, looking for spots to polish. Hyunjin's hands reach into frame, pluck the robot off its wheels.

DECK NINE - NUMBER NINE PROMENADE

Y/n stands at the railing, watching curiously as Hyunjin crosses the Concourse below with the robot under his arm.

SUBDECK C - MACHINE SHOP - DAY

Hyunjin stands at a workbench, the robot in front of him. He tinkers with its complex works.

GRAND CONCOURSE - DAY

Hyunjin sits in an armchair with his industrial laptop. He types a string of commands, hits EXECUTE. Beside him on the floor, his kidnapped cleaning robot does a figure-eight. Hyunjin smiles in satisfaction.

FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK - DAY

Y/n sits in her habitual writing position: cross-legged on her favourite sofa, her writing slate in her lap. "The starship's designers gave the ship a daily rhythm. The light is warm in the morning, bright during the day, cool at night. We need those changes. But I miss other rhythms. There are no holidays here. Every day is a day of leisure. There are no seasons. The sky never changes," A mechanical whir distracts her. She looks down. Hyunjin's pet robot looks up at her with binocular eyes. It carries a note in a clip on its back. Y/n pulls it free. A handwritten invitation from Hyunjin. It reads:

Come to dinner with me tonight?

- Hyunjin

Y/n reads the note with a grin. She looks down at the robot, "Is he asking me on a date?" She questions, a flirtatious grin on her face.

SUBDECK C - MACHINE SHOP

Hyunjin sits at his laptop, watching the screen: a robot's-eye- view of Y/n. He wiggles a joystick on his laptop, and...

FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK

...the robot nods its goggle head. Y/n laughs. Beside the note-clip, the robot carries a pen in a makeshift holder. Y/n takes the pen, scribbles on the paper. Tucks it back into the robot's note clip.

GRAND CONCOURSE - CONCOURSE BAR

Felix polishes glasses behind the bar. The robot crosses the Concourse, note clipped to its back. Felix watches it pass.

SUBDECK C - MACHINE SHOP

Hyunjin plucks the note from the robot's back. Y/n's reply is written

in cursive letters:

Love to.

-Y/N

Y/N'S CABIN - EVENING

Y/n gets ready for dinner. A slim gown, a few pieces of jewellery, her hair up. She looks like a goddess. The doorbell rings. She answers it. Hyunin stands on her doorstep in a black jacket, Half of his long hair pulled back into a bun, the rest left dangling behind his shoulders. looking dapper. His eyes widen as he takes Y/n in.

"Wow,"

"You clean up all right yourself. You went shopping," Y/n smiles.

"I went shoplifting," Hyunjin chuckles. In the corridor stands a cargo robot to which Hyunjin has attached an upholstered loveseat. He helps Y/n aboard and takes a seat beside her. She's charmed. "Rutherford! To the bar!"

"Yes, Passenger Hyunjin!" The robot zooms off to the sound of Y/n's laughter.

GRAND CONCOURSE - CONCOURSE BAR

Hyunjin and Y/n take seats. Felix puts on his best manners. "Evening. What can I get for you?" Felix asks, a smile on his face.

"A Manhattan, please," Y/n smiles.

"Single malt, rocks," Hyunjin says tapping the bar top with his hand. Felix pours.

"You two look fine this evening," Felix compliments.

Y/n smiles and whispers to Felix, still loud enough for Hyunjin hear, "We're on a date,".

"Very nice," Felix smirks handing the two their drinks.

Y/n turns o Hyunjin teasing him, "Took you long enough to ask,".

"I was giving you space," Hyunjin said sipping his drink.

"Space is one thing I don't need more of. I've been doing research," Y/n says placing her drink down. "I found a drug that would put us in a coma indefinitely, and machines that would keep us alive,"

"Really?!" Hyunjin almost chocks on his drink.

"But it's not suspended animation. We'd still be aging,"

"Oh," Hyunjin sighs.

"Yeah. If I must grow old on this ship, I'd at least like to be awake for it. So that was a failure/n says taking a sip.

"A highly ambitious failure," Hyunjin says.

"There's the title of my memoir. "A Highly Ambitious Failure," by Y/n Y/l/n. Hyunjin laughs. He thinks for a minute.

"Voyage to Nowhere," by Hyunjin Hwang." Hyunjin laughs.

"My Life in a Tin Can." Y/n laughs, almost spitting her drink out.

"A Spaceship Built for Two." Hyunjin says staring at Y/n.

THE STARDOME – XANADU

A great glass dome, the highest point on the ship. Outside the dome, a riot of stars. Inside, a luxury restaurant. Hyunjin and Y/n emerge into the dome. She turns, looking at the glittering river of the Milky Way, the blue stars ahead of the ship, the pink stars behind them.

"Incredible," Is the only word Y/n can use to describe the view.

They sit at the best table. Robots attend to their every need. The blue stars frame Hyunjin's head; the pink, Y/n's. Beautiful dishes arrive new wines with every course.

NIGHTCLUB - NIGHT

A holographic 12-piece band plays on stage: a jazz standard. Hyunjin walks onto the dance floor. Holds out his hand to Y/n. She comes to him, and they dance. They're pretty good. Smiles grow on their faces. Hyunjin spins her out, spins her back - close enough to kiss. They almost do - but they don't.

DECK THREE - SHOPPING DISTRICT - NIGHT

Hyunjin and Y/n ride along on the cargo robot. Her head rests on his shoulder. Suddenly she sits up. "Rutherford, stop!" The robot stops. She pulls Hyunjin off.

"Come on, we have to do this!" Y/n smiles as she pulls him to the photo booth. They tumble inside. As the strobe flashes, she kisses him hard. Outside, the photo strip drops into the tray: four colour pictures. In the first they laugh; in the second they clown; in the third, they kiss. In the last image, Y/n smiles at the camera; Hyunjin looks at Y/n. Y/n taps the pictures: they start to move each is a one second movie clip. The pictures laugh, and clown, and kiss.

DECK NINE - CORRIDOR - OUTSIDE Y/N'S CABIN

The robot pulls up to Y/n's door. Hyunjin helps her down. Y/n opens the door. Turns back to him. "Thank you. I had an amazing time. A great night," Y/n smiles.

"Yeah, me too. Well, good night," Hyunin says as he turns to go.

"Hyunjin," Y/n says. Hyunjin turns back. Y/n grabs him and drags him into her cabin.