Part IV - The Western Emerald: 72. Rouge

Looking for the opportunity to attack, the empress caught Cui Xi off guard while she was doing her normal visit to the harem.

Catching the fleeting expression of confusion, the empress smiled in delight as Cui Xi was brought before her.

"Do you know your crime?" she asked, leaning a cheek lazily on one bejeweled hand. She beckoned with the other to a maid who held something small on a tray. As the maid came forward, Cui Xi saw that it was a rouge compact and her heart sank. This was beginning to smell of an ambush.

Dammit!

"Your Majesty, I do not, but I believe you are about to tell me," she calmly nodded her head toward the tray, showing no fear.

"Insolent!" the empress hissed, her expression rapidly changing. "Do you claim to know Bengong's mind?"

"Majesty, this girl would not dare, but I would imagine that the crime has to do with the item on the tray."

"Indeed. This rouge is made by your shop. It was sent to the emperor's favourite consort. She is with child and she has been poisoned by it. It is not clear if she will lose the child...if she does, not only will you be beheaded for poisoning a member of the imperial family, but for the murder of an imperial prince. What do you say to that?"

The empress leaned forward, her smile returning.

Cui Xi felt her stomach flip, but she still looked up and scrutinized the face across from her. The mother of the Crown Prince had lived her years scheming in the imperial harem and although she was still beautiful in her phoenix robes, her jewels, and her careful makeup, she could not hide all the ugliness of her personality.

In truth, Cui Xi pitied her. The harem was an arena for the strong. The empress had fought viciously and achieved so much for herself and her son, so was not to be underestimated, but it was truly unclear as to why the empress chose to target her at this time.

"Majesty, this girl sees that the charges are indeed quite serious."

"So you admit it! Take her away!" the empress cried to the guards.

"Wait!" cried Su Qing. "What evidence is there my mistress has committed such a heavy crime?"

"A servant dares to speak! Hua'er! Slap her in the mouth!" the empress instructed her servant, her face full of fury.

Another maid standing at the empress's side descended from the dais beside her, raised her hand, and slapped Su Qing across the face.

"You have no right to touch Su Qing!" Cui Xi gritted, enraged.

Su Qing was a highly skilled fighter. To have borne the strike without retaliating, Cui Xi knew that Su Qing had only done this for her sake. The empress could do what she wanted to her, but Cui Xi would not tolerate harm to her maid.