Chapter 30 - Strength Test

Start from the beginning

"That's alright, senpai. I didn't mean to extract intel from you. I'm sorry if I came across as rude."

"Nothing to worry about. So, are you planning to join the SC? I'm worried Nagumo has already coaxed you onto his side," Manabu said, adjusting his glasses up his nose.

"Nagumo-senpai doesn't have any influence over my actions, Horikita-senpai. I am the ruler of my own actions. No one else dictates what I intend to do."

"Such strong words. I wonder what I'll do with such a fierce Secretary."

"Are you already under the assumption that I've joined the SC, Horikita-senpai?"

"From a logical viewpoint, yes. You have technically already been accepted into the Student Council. Whether I take an interview or not, I'm confident and positive of your abilities. Now, only your confirmation remains."

"Can I think about it, senpai? I do not want to rush into this decision. With the upcoming Sports Festival, there are a few things that I must handle in my class as well. When is the latest I can confirm by?"

"Take your time. Joining the SC is indeed a very groundbreaking decision in this school. You have all the time that you need."

"Thank you very much, senpai."

"By the way, are those grip strength machines that I see in your hand?"

"They are. I borrowed them from the Gymnasium to have a thorough individual test of our Class, so we have a fair idea of where we excel and lack."

"A good decision," Manabu said. He prepared to leave. "Well then, don't disappoint me. I'll be watching how capable the new Secretary is."

With that last statement, the President walked off towards the Council Room.

***

The walk back to the classroom was a bit eerie.

I had already told Yosuke and Horikita before that they could reveal my identity while I'm not present in class. It gives everyone in class a false sense of security; everyone will be willing to throw out their 'real' intentions about me being the leader, if I wasn't in class myself.

People are easy to read. Most of them tend to talk rubbish behind another person's back, as long as that person is currently not tuned in to the conversation. In other words, making Yosuke and Horikita expose me was to gauge everyone's 'true' reactions, and how they really feel about me being the leader.

I'm not affected by that other say in the least. If they feel I'm a bad leader, then I will step down. However, I will not help them from the shadows either. Once they taste defeat and failure, they will all flock back to me without thinking twice.

Again, that is only if they think I'm a bad leader. I doubt that will be the case.

After keeping the grip machines in the Class D gym, I headed back to the classroom.

"....."

The silence in the class was deafening, to say the least. Everyone seemed to watch my movements very carefully. I reluctantly sighed, and stood next to Hirata and Horikita on the podium.

I took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry."

The entire class was stunned at my sudden apology.

"I'm sorry I hid my identity from all of you. It'll be really selfish of me to ask everyone here to acknowledge me as Leader."

"Takeyama-kun, you don't need to apologize at all!" Kushida-san spoke up to dissipate the awkward atmosphere. "You did nothing wrong at all! You did what you think was best for the class. I think that it's a really noble deed!"