Appendix A - Genres & Styles

This seems an overview of prose genres, but try to look at it as an inspiration for poems, and imagine an entirely new set of possibilities.

Readers want two things: information and emotions. Good writers give their readers what they want. Apart from the 🤩 description, we summarise the 😍 emotion examination and the 🤓 information indication that readers of each genre expect.

Notice that most novels of fiction are sold as one genre, but usually, they combine elements from several genres: «The Hunger Games» is Science Fiction, but also Young Adult, Action and Adventure, Thriller and even Romance plays a part.

🧐 Styles and genres walk hand-in-hand in Lectureland. Some genres (Humour, Literary) are not genres but styles. Most genres benefit from certain styles of writing. Pulp Fiction requires an easy-to-read style, while writers of Autobiography or Non-Fiction prefer a High School Teacher style (we're not certain if that's an up-level teacher, or if the teacher's school is a high building, or if it's a schoolteacher who smoked a joint). An 👽 example makes our story complete.

Genres

Action and Adventure

🤩 - Popular with people who like to see how others take risks and work their asses off, solving problems, while they themselves do nothing but sit on their bum with a book. 

😍 - Admiration and courage. Action heroes are smart, good-looking, inventive, strong, and they always get what they want (plus «the girl» as a bonus). Readers want to identify with someone who's much too active to read a story or a poem.

🤓 - Every problem has a solution, but the action hero needs information before she starts kicking asses and throwing bombs. Adventure stories take place in every setting you can imagine, which requires lots of research and background information. Even Discovery Channel tells their documentaries like they are Action and Adventure stories.

🧐 - Little description. Nothing about the character's psychological doubts and needs. Short lines. To-the-point dialogue. Wham, bam, thank you, Ma'am.

👽 - «Raiders of the Lost Ark» (film with Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, 1981).
7.4 - «The War of the Words and the Worth».

4 - «The War of the Words and the Worth»

Action man with a gun

Thought he might have some fun,

Shooting everybody in sight,

Till the cops kill him dead,

With two shots in the head.

So much fun on the news every night.