10. Mom sounds good but mommy is even better

Nat's pov

It's about five minutes to five p.m., but Chloe is yet no where to be seen and I'm starting to panic. I spent my whole night trying to figure out a plan to keep us busy during the one hour drive from here to the airport near Portland and I surely don't want to waste an hour of my time just sitting there in awkward silence. Plus, I still need to find something juicy and secret about her that no one knows. But it's been almost three weeks from the day of the bet, but I have come up with absolutely nothing so far, so I've come to the conclusion that she's either the most boring person that ever existed or she doesn't hide anything from anyone and she simply is who she is. But my guts keep telling me that neither one of these two options is right, and I always trust my instincts, sometimes even more than my own brain. 

Oh, there she is, looking as good as always even if she's literally wearing a grey sweater paired with simple black sweat, classic stunning white air force 1 and on top of everything a grey beanie. As soon as she sees me, leaning against the car door while twirling  the keys around my index fingers, her face drops in astonishment. Well I guess my brother didn't tell her who was going to drive her... which is me, so I'm also guessing I'm still not her favourite human being on the Earth. Too bad, now she's stuck with me for an entire hour and hopefully she'll loosen up just enough for me to get my little secret out of her. Did I already mention she has insane trust issues?

Yeah, maybe she has good reasons to keep her walls up. And soon enough you'll just be one of them, too. 

I shoo away that intrusive thought and plaster a smirk on my face before detaching from the car and shoving my hands in my trouser's pockets. 

<<I see you dressed up for our little date>> I tease her. Her already angry expression gets nastier as she narrows her eyes to glare at me.

<<This is NOT a date>> she hisses through her clenched teeth. It shows from miles away that she's fuming, albeit she enters the car and slams the passenger door shut before putting on her seatbelt, clearly telling me to move my ass. 

I swear to God, this girl is the cutest thing in the world when angry. She's just sitting there, her arms folded on her chest and her face slightly turned to the window so I don't have a full view of her face. I don't like it so I reach out to her chin with my hand.
<<I don't like it when you hide that beautiful face of yours from me>> I say trying to ease the tension, but only making it worse as the words come out in a low whisper, coming across as sexy instead of light and teasing. I can see her cheeks becoming redder and redder as I notice that my fingers are still lingering on her face, very close to her lips. 

I snap out of it and place my hand back on the steering wheel and look forward as I get the car going.

And here it is, the awkward silence. I can see her shuffling on her seat out of the corner of my eye, trying to find a comfortable position to sit, but evidently coming up short as she's changing her stance every five seconds, distracting my eyes from the street.
<<Okay, no. Feet off the dash, now>> I state seriously as she puts her shoes on it. 

<<What, it's not like they're dirty. When have you ever seen a pair of Nikes this white?>> She asks me with a raised eyebrow, daring me to answer.
<<Never, but they're still shoes and you walked from your house to mine, so either you take your shoes off or no feet on the dash>> I reply, feeling a bit like a mum driving beside her teenage daughter. At least there isn't the awkward silence anymore. She scoffs as she pulls her feet back to her hands, slipping the shoes off and placing them right back on the dash. I snort as I shake my head.