Chapter 14: Just the Beginning

Start from the beginning

Vincent inhales sharply.

Akio gently pulls on Vincent's forearm so they can back away and move a little farther from the three guards. "Once they start heading our way, we knock them down..."

Akio slightly closes the distance between him and the walkie-talkie.

"Guys...up...now."

Akio deepens his voice, attempting to match the guard's voice. It wasn't the best imitation, but thanks to the static and his pausing, it made it quite believable. He also didn't say much to avoid any mistakes. That was enough to get them curious, but not alert to the point that they would call for backup or move the hostages.

Footsteps.

Just as planned.

Akio and Vincent move back closer to meet with the two guards.

"W-What the-"

Before the guards could properly react, Akio and Vincent took them down. Tackling them and knocking them against the wall. The pair confiscated their firearms and threw them aside. They struggled to escape their strong grip and Vincent dug his fist into his target's stomach, effectively making them spit and fall aside. Vincent clicks his tongue in annoyance since this will be his last set of handcuffs.

Meanwhile, Akio forcefully pushes his opponent to the ground, pressing the enemy's face against the floor with his hands on his back. Vincent knocks out the guard with his fist and handcuffs him. He then turns to Akio, who was breathing heavily.

"..."

"Sorry, I..."

"I'll handle it..."

"No, I-"

Akio looked down at his opponent and raised his shaking fist. His breathing hastened and his mind began to ache. What is going on now? He was fine before, he put someone unconscious before, just a few minutes ago, but now...His heartbeat in a painful way and his stomach curled. Before Akio could do anything, Vincent did the job himself and knocked his opponent out. He gently pushes Akio off the guard and drags him to the pipeline where he'll cuff them.

"Vincent, I-"

"We're going to have a long, long talk after this." Vincent replied quietly as he secured the guards to the pipeline.

"Yeah...That's right..."

"So? Is this the last of them?"

"Mhm..."

Vincent exhales and Akio could tell it was out of relief and exhaustion. The detective made his way to the door at the end of the hall. They should be there, Scarlett and everyone else. Akio couldn't help but sigh in relief too. They did it...

They actually did it.

Well...Akio briefly paused and recalled the moment of hesitation a minute ago. He slowly came to the realization that it was fear. The fear of actually striking his fist against the man.

Then he hears the door open, snapping him out of his daze. Vincent immediately rushes inside and Akio follows quickly. There were a total of five hostages and one of them was easily recognizable.

As well as...not tied up.

Scarlett was on her knees, trying to free one of the hostages.

"Vincent? Daniel?" She gasps in shock.

"Scarlett, thank god you're all safe." Vincent rushes to join in freeing the hostages, as well as Daniel.

"What happened out there?" Scarlett asked as she finished cutting the rope with a large shard of glass. Her palm evidently bleeding from using the glass. Vincent quickly grabbed her hand once he noticed and threw the shard away. "I'll handle it."

Vincent said as he revealed a pocket knife.

"Let me see your wound..." Akio says, "Use this to stop the bleeding..."

Akio had already ripped a part of his clothes to hand it to Scarlett. Scarlett looked up at him silently before letting Akio wrap the makeshift bandage around her hand. Vincent looked at Akio for a moment before returning his attention to the hostages.

"Why are you here?" Scarlett asked.

"I couldn't ignore this." Akio replied as he finished tending to Scarlett's wound.

"..."

"I've got them all." Vincent says. Everyone is finally free from their restraints. The only thing left to do was to go back up and get them to the station. And just as requested, Vincent's phone vibrated and he got the message. Backup is here.

"What next?" He asks Akio.

"They can engage and arrest the guys here." Akio approaches Vincent closer to whisper, "Their clients won't come anyways..."

Vincent raised an eyebrow at that and nodded. "Okay."

~~~

Repost note from Announcement/Message Feed:

Hello everyone, apologies for the VERY LONG HIATUS. I'll be real with all of you. Real life stuff has been very complicated and chaotic, there's so much going on and being busy with so much stuff. I'll be honest and say that I cannot guarantee continuous updates, but I will update no matter what so I apologize in advance for long waits and I thank you as well for the patience and support that all of you guys gave me throughout the year. Reading your comments and messages brought a smile to my face and motivation to keep going with writing, as well as complete the rainbow I plan.

Once again, apologies and big thanks to all my readers and followers!

ALSO, FRIEND-SAN HAS AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE IN THE NEAR FUTURE!

She has decided to open up and be known to the world! I'm so proud of her!

Not only does she do art, but also stories and she is one of my big inspirations in life so please support her once she is finally ready to fully reveal herself. She has been doing content for a long time actually, but never really shared or spread it! Now is the time! We're gonna end 2022 with a bang!

A heads-up, her stories are the opposite of mine lol, but our sense of humor matches hehehe (we really like Japanese and Chinese humor) I'll be editing the chapters to show support to Friend-san and write her name in the near future!

~~~

Friend-san actually helped with the mystery and detective work. She's better at this genre than I am. She gave great advice and I don't care how embarrassed you are, friend-san! You DESERVE CREDIT FOR THIS!

Once again, thank you for everyone's support, views, votes and comments! I'll see you all in the next chapter~

~~~