Masquerade

Third POV

Damon handed Caroline and Calista some blood and they appeared to be scared when Stefan appeared, "What happened?"

Damon looked at the twins, "Go ahead, tell him," he turned back to Stefan, "You're gonna love this."

"We saw Katherine," Caroline said.

"Where?"

"We were at the Grill talking to Matt, we both left for the bathroom and what we thought was Elena at first but then we knew quickly that it was Katherine. She wanted to send a message," Caroline started.

"What was the message?" Stefan said urgently.

"She was getting to it," Calista said with pure irritation in her voice.

"She wants the moonstone or she will rip this town apart until it rains blood and added tonight at the masquerade ball," Caroline finished.

"She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard," Stefan stated.

"She's running scared. What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks," Damon countered, briefly thinking about how bored Jenna must be right now.

"We can't underestimate her. We have to play this smarter than her," Stefan said. Damon knew Stefan wasn't smart enough to outsmart Katherine. He knew she would have a safety net.

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline asked, honestly wondering what would happen when she finally realized she had a fake one.

"No, Katherine's not getting dick. I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her, tonight," Damon said, even though it was more along the lines of take her to his parents just to see her reaction.

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan said,

"Don't give me that goody-goody crap," Damon countered.

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan repeated.

"Really?"

"Because I am," Stefan stated. 'Oh this might be a problem,' Damon thought. Damon had went to call Alaric who he knew had been helping Jenna's boredom, but Jenna was coming home today, so boredom might become annoyance, who knows. Stefan had gone to contact Bonnie and she arrived with a grimoire. Of course it wasn't her personal one; it was just a Bennett witch one. Bonnie saw all the weapons on the table, "What's going on?" Bonnie asked. Jeremy walks in, "We're gonna kill Katherine," he stated, mentally not believing that Katherine will die tonight.

"I can explain," Stefan said.

"Please," Bonnie replied.

"We're gonna kill Katherine," Stefan repeated Jeremy's statement. Alaric did a demonstration of the most basic way to kill a traditional vampire. Although this demonstration was only for Stefan, Jeremy had been training for six months now; he knew how to use it. Alaric go sent out with Elena, to make sure she didn't come to the masquerade, but the whole room knew she would be there.

Tyler was in his office, he's aware that Katherine would make an appearance, in case she had gotten into his father's office; he was making sure he knew where things were. Next thing he knew, his mother had entered the room, "It's already packed out there. You know, we need to keep that door shut. Your father would be very unhappy if I let guests in here," she started.

Tyler stood up, now knowing where everything in the room was and his the valuable stuff. "Oh, look at you! So handsome," Carol said, seeing her son in the suit.

"Thanks. You look pretty good too mom," Tyler said.

"Oh, a compliment. I think I'll fall over," Carol jerked but was startled when Tyler hugged her. "Oh, Tyler what's wrong?" she asked, hugging him back, he pulled away and she was more startled seeing the tears in her son's eyes, "I'm sorry, how I've been acting lately," he said. The two didn't talk about Mason, he reminded them of Tyler's father with his temper. "Oh, um, they couldn't make it tonight, but the Tepes', Jena Sommers, and Alaric Saltzman want to talk to you afterwards," Tyler said nervously. He knew his mother knew about vampires, but he didn't know how she would react to meeting an Original and Dracula himself, along with knowing she married an untriggered werewolf. He knew to be aware of things, now that Mason was dead, it was reasonable that Katherine would target him, so he also knew how to know if somebody was being compelled. He knew Matt was getting him drunk, Tyler said he didn't want to drink and Matt would normally respect that. They were in Tyler's father's office with Aimee and Sarah, the two girls he was going to party with the other night and Tyler had sent a message to Ingrid, 'Katherine's compelled Matt, he's trying to get me drunk.' He waited a little bit and got a response, 'Pretend.'

Bonnie and Jeremy had the room prepared for Katherine, they were headed out to tell Stefan and Damon when Jeremy noticed Bonnie tense, "What's wrong?" he asked quietly, noticing she was watching the girl that just passed them, "There's another Bennett here," she stated and they hurried a bit quicker to find the two. Stefan was dancing with Katherine so they found Damon and told him the problem, "Yeah, she's also apparently compelled Matt to get Tyler to kill him, Alex headed up there to join," he told them. "And Katherine just killed one of the girls that went up with Tyler and Matt," he added. Damon then checked his phone, "Aaaand Elena has left the building."

Jeremy got sent up to talk to Katherine and Katherine gets a little flirty before she leaves, wondering why he was sent up but jumps back as a stake was suddenly in his hands. He gives her a sarcastic smile and she leaves quickly, but before he could follow, Elena grabs his arm. He quickly texted the twins, Caroline had been pushed against the wall and choked by Katherine. Katherine had been startled when Calista rushed forward and yanked her away, "Go upstairs and forget you saw us," she compelled. Katherine sped upstairs and got shot, in the distance Damon can hear Elena screaming and shook his head, he should have known. Calista and Caroline then went out and found Lucy Bennett, "You're going to release the spell on Katherine and Elena," Caroline compelled this time and Lucy nodded. The spell had been lifted but Alex hurried in startled, "We got a problem," she said.

*Few Minutes Before*

"You know, looks like your dad wants a drink," a drunk Matt said. He poured alcohol on Carol and Richard's picture. Alex put her hand in "drunk" Tyler's so he could squeeze it, knowing her hand would heal.

"Hey, that's not cool. What's wrong with you?" Tyler asked.

"Come on, the guy was a dick," Matt commented.

"Come on, you're being mean. His dad's dead," Sarah spoke up.

"Give me the picture!" Tyler demanded, he almost stood up, but Alex held him down.

"Remember how your dad used to slap you around?" Matt attempted to slap Tyler but ended slapping Alex, which Tyler didn't like either. "Are you kidding?" Tyler spat.

"I'm just having fun," Matt excused. He tries to fight Tyler but Alex throws him back and Matt kept rushing to get to him. Alex knocks him unconscious but turns around too late, Sarah had stabbed Tyler in the chest and on instinct Tyler pushes her off where she hit her head and slumped to the ground, "Is she?" Tyler asked seeing Alex flash her eyes, she saw no heart beating. Alex looked at Tyler in sympathy and Tyler's eyes widened as he suddenly started screaming, "Oh shit," Alex muttered and ran out to get the twins.

*End of flashback*

Alex was calling her mother and Ingrid and Vlad were already out to find Tyler. Alex then brings Carol into the Tepes house where she is finally told the truth about the supernatural.