Chapter I: A New Home

Start from the beginning

He was about to go and take a look at the condition of his room but he had hardly taken the first three steps of the stairs when-

"Master Sirius Black has come home at last! Becky is feeling very happy," cried a squeaky voice and before he had time to respond, a thin pair of arms flung themselves around his knees and he looked down to see the house elf Becky,  one of the few house elves who had not called him disgraceful names. He reached out to pat the house elf's head but Becky suddenly drew back, looking horrified.

"Becky has been very bad. She touched a wizard without permission. Becky is going to punish herself. Becky deserves it," said the elf and ran to the kitchen and started banging her head against the platform.

Sirius, who had only expected such a reaction, wasted absolutely no time in bringing the distraught little creature out of its self inflicted punishment. He gently grabbed the back of the elf's pillowcase and set her down on the ground. "Thank you, sir." said the small voice of the house elf.

"Now listen here, Becky, someone else is going to be moving in with me in a few hours and I want you to make sure that the house is cleaned properly. Get rid of all the dust, cobwebs, any unwanted creatures that have taken up residence in here. Please do up my brother's room so that it may be fit for an eleven year old lad. And no punishing yourself."

He emphasised on the last bit and glanced at the house elf sternly to make sure that she didn't do anything rash or made a mad dash for the set of knives in the drawers when he was away. The elf nodded earnestly and vanished with a crack, probably to get the requisite cleaning equipment.

Now that the house would be taken care of, he decided to focus on a certain conversation he needed to have with a certain headmaster.

He walked to the fireplace, grabbed a fistful of floo powder that was kept in an untouched clay pot that stood on the mantelpiece, also covered in a thick layer of dust. "Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore's office," he said crisply and felt the green flames engulf him with a whoosh.

******

Albus Dumbledore was currently going through some papers when the floo in his office roared to life and out came none other than Sirius Black. "Good afternoon Albus. I apologise for barging unawares this way but since it was rather urgent, I had to come through."

Albus Dumbledore was not a fool. He was completely aware of the reason Sirius had come to see him and this was definitely not a conversation he was looking forward to. He had expected it but that didn't mean he liked it.

But, he still put on a smile and invited the younger man to have a seat. "Not at all my boy, please sit. Now tell me, what can I do for you?"

"I want my godson's custody Albus." Straight to the point. It wasn't a request,  not at all.

"He is living with his aunt and uncle and I assure you, Sirius, he is perfectly safe and happy over there," answered the old man.

Aunt and Uncle? He knew that James was an only child so that meant that Harry was presently living with Vernon and Petunia Dursley. The very thought made Sirius want to hurl. The Dursleys were horrible people. Completely against magic. He'd met them only once but that had been enough.

"Well let me make something clear, Albus, Harry will not be living with them anymore. As his godfather, I am his legal guardian and not some anti-magic muggles." said Sirius and for once Albus Dumbledore realised that this wasn't a discussion he would win.

"As you wish, Sirius but remember, the boy needs love and care-" he was cut short by a curt reply:

"And I am here for just that purpose."