Episode 2

The following morning, rested and able to give the Sheriff his interview, Harriet had accepted Aaron's offer to accompany her to the council office, where she presented her papers, and the letter confirming her appointment. She picked up the key to the allotted space beside the general store, and once again, allowed him to accompany her.

"May I say, Miss Folio, you certainly have turned our small town on its ear. I think Sheriff Becker was too shocked this morning at your recounting to ask very many questions."

"It is not something I care to dwell upon," she said with a trace of regretful uncertainty, unlocking the door to what would become the first library in Tuckerville. She had made it perfectly clear that she wanted to get through the investigation as soon as possible and move on with her life.

He held open the door, letting her precede him inside and stood back, watching her inspect the space.

"I had expected at least a few shelves and a desk," she said with disappointment.

The walls were bare with remnants of cloth and paper hanging from nails that seemed to have been carelessly driven into their surface. Dust covered the floor boards and litter was scattered randomly about. The window was filthy and Harriet just sighed, squaring her shoulders.

"What was here before?"

"I think it was used mainly by the cattle auction managers. They built a new office down by the stockyards. Tuckerville is having its first official auction soon." He coughed and made a hesitant step forward. "I'm sure the council can manage something pretty quickly. After all, they did know you were coming." Aaron tried apologizing for their lack of preparedness.

"You wouldn't think so." She walked back outside; waiting for him to exit then locked the door again.

"Mr. Trenholme, I understand you represent the newspaper here but-"

"Actually, I own it," he said, smiling.

She paused then turned her hazel eyes full power on him. "That would account for your eager company then. I'm sorry to disappoint, Mr. Trenholme, but I am not interested in being news." She turned and headed back toward the hotel.

"Not even to announce our new library?" He called after her.

She stopped again and glanced back over her shoulder. "If I could be assured that was all you were interested in . . ."

"Far from it," he said walking up to her. "But I promise that's all I will write about, if you give me some details about your library."

"Are you a man of your word, Mr. Trenholme?"

"On my honour, Miss Folio."

"Very well, I'll make a bargain with you. You assist me in getting my books and other things moved into the space, and I will place an ad in your paper."

"Hmm . . . I was thinking more along the lines of an article. Who you are. Where you came from. Why come to Tuckerville to open a library. New people and new businesses need exposure if they hope to succeed – nothing too personal, I assure you."

Her response was slow. "Very well. This is strictly about the library, nothing to do with Black Creek? Do we have a deal?"

"Absolutely!"

Aaron's eager concession not only turned into an afternoon of slugging heavy chests of books down from the hotel, but also helping to sweep out the office, getting all the nails and posters off the walls, and washing the windows.

"I think I have to say, you drive a hard bargain," he said, wiping dusty sweat from his face.

She glanced at him dabbing at his brow. "I would have thought running a printing press, and all that entails, you would be used to hard work."