Chapter 5

Another two weeks had passed since their first fax conversation had taken place. They wouldn't talk every day, but Draco was always happy to see a piece of art waiting for him when he got into the office. It was on a particularly rough day that HP's art had moved him to the verge of tears.

It was one of those rare days where Lucius had been present in the office. This alone meant everyone was walking on eggshells. Draco had been assigned the very unfortunate job of having to turn down a client. He knew logically that keeping the man strung along, as his father was never one to discourage, would only worsen his finances in the end. Still, no matter how hard he tried to compartmentalize those feelings, he was never fully successful.

The man had left in tears, as Draco expected. Things only improved somewhat when Draco gave him advice Lucius most certainly did not want him to give. He wasn't completely heartless and knew that this man had a family.

Deciding to take an early lunch, Draco was checking to make sure he didn't have any more meetings lined up for that specific time frame when he was alerted to an incoming fax. He didn't bat an eye, assuming it was just a fax of the daily specials. Once he was sure he didn't have any meetings for the time being, he went to grab what he believed to be the menu.

A soft gasp fell from his lips at the sight of the painting. Lately, HP's paintings had been done in various shades of gray. The next painting Draco had received after their initial conversation had been created using the sponges he had recommended, and he was absolutely giddy.

This painting was bright and vibrant. Something in HP's life clearly had changed for them to choose such bright colors. HP had painted such a beautiful arrangement of intricately entwined Narcissus flowers that Draco had to take a seat. The flowers had white petals and yellow cups, drawn in front of a sunset composed of purple hues.

Draco ran his fingers lightly over the page, wishing he could feel the actual paint used to create such a masterpiece. Any ill feelings he had previously seemingly vanished.

Entranced with the piece, it took Draco a lot longer than usual to write his reply to HP.

"HP, I don't even know how to properly convey the feelings that this piece gives me. Looking at this piece gives me chills. I have to admit that I am a very hard man to impress, but you've actually rendered me speechless. This is my favorite piece yet.

In fact, I love it so much that with your permission I'd like to hang it up in my office. My only regret is that I can't see the true vibrancy of these colors in person. This is absolutely breathtaking, and if this is what happens when you decide to play around with color, I hope you keep it up.

Thank you HP. Today has been an absolutely horrid day, and you somehow managed to instill some semblance of peace back into my afternoon.

DM"

Harry was positively glowing at the praise. His cheeks were red and his face hurt from smiling. He had finally been promised a meeting with a potential investor as his work had been steadily gaining traction online. The down payment for renting the venue of his first solo art show was easy enough to secure, but he knew to continue on at this point he would have to find someone who believed in him and his dream.

Feeling inspired at the prospect of finally "making it", Harry had been feeling playful and decided to experiment with color. He was happy with the result of course, but receiving such raw and honest feedback had him over the moon.

Once removed from his daydreams, Harry quickly wrote back.

"If we ever meet in person, this painting is yours. I'd be honored if you wanted to hang my painting up in your office. From our few message exchanges I've come to the conclusion that you typically wouldn't mix your personal and business lives together, so this means even more to me.

I fear the fax won't look as nice on the wall, so if you have an email I can send you a copy of the professional photograph of it. Then you can print it to the size of your liking :) I'll include my email at the bottom of this note and you can get back to me whenever you have a minute.

I've come into some good news recently and felt inspired. I must say, it's nice to dip back into some colors. I'll have to try out your sponge technique again, maybe do a full sunrise or sunset.

Thank you for your kind words DM, I hope that your day gets better!

HP

P.S. I don't know if you meant to share that you were a guy, but I think it's only fair to let you know that I'm a guy as well. I hope that isn't off putting or anything."

As soon as Draco received the reply, he dug up the information for his old art account email. He changed some of the information so that it couldn't be traced to him directly, and he sent Harry an email. He would respond to the message itself later. For now, it was time to get some lunch and go frame shopping.

After sending the painting to the email address of DM, Harry decided to treat himself to some hot chocolate at his favorite cafe. Coffee was much too bitter for him, or maybe it was just the way Remus liked his coffee that was off putting to Harry.

Harry had asked Remus why he took his coffee so strong, and the answer wasn't really an answer at all. "I like my coffee like I like my men. Siriusly Black", Remus had said, not even looking up from his book. Harry hadn't bothered to comment on it again after that one.

Both men were absolutely buzzing when they unknowingly walked into the same cafe. Draco had arrived first, and he really took notice of the cute blushing man with the warm smile who walked in as Draco was waiting for his order.

The man was standing back viewing the menu when Draco's name was called for his tea. The painting had put him in such a good mood that Draco decided to pay for the order of the happy looking man, telling the woman at the counter that she could either use the rest of the change to pay for anyone else during the day, or take it as a tip.

When Harry goes to pay, hearing that someone had done such a thing for him of all people left him even more flustered than before. The woman pointed out Draco to Harry discretely when he asked who had paid. Turning around, Harry's breath hitched at the sight of the beautiful stranger.

When the stranger raised their head to look at Harry, Harry waved, grinning at Draco. Draco nodded back, showing a small smile of his own.

Harry sat at a table to wait for his order, deciding to write a little thank you note for the stranger, complete with a doodle. He held onto it until his order was called. Dawdling by the napkins, Harry waited to drop the note off at the stranger's table until he had picked up his muffin at the counter and had his back turned to Harry.

Returning back to his table, Draco was touched by the small gesture of returned kindness from the stranger. With another rare smile, he tucked the note into his wallet, not even noticing the small HP worked into the doodle's design.