The steep slope of the mountain sang under the soles of their boots. In the first light of dawn their steady gait was already bringing them closer to the forest that sprawled for miles underneath the mountain's mist. The air was several degrees cooler than the day before and Ines felt her body shiver a bit.

On their frequent stops, she listened for signs of life around them, but there was none. Back at home such a silence would be tranquil, but out there it was more like the quiet of a graveyard. They had decided to move to lower ground in order to plan their next step without being exposed. After that, her guess was as good as theirs.

'Do you think we will find him?' Landos spoke.

'I hope so,' was her only reply.

'We follow the dark.'

'Why though?' Matthew asked. 'Could it be from the magic?'

'It would explain why it's called black magic.'

Their conversation was cut short by the choir of greens of the forest, a warning for them to devise a plan before breaking its borders. Sooner or later, they would have to know where they were going if they didn't want to get lost in its maze.

'I don't think I'll survive,' Inerma suddenly announced breathlessly and slumped on a rock, her hands touching her chest like she was having a heart attack.

'Get up, lazybones!' Landos nudged her with his foot.

'No!'

'Come on! We have to move!'

'Give me five minutes.'

Landos glared at her in annoyance and begrudgingly sat beside her when she made a throat-cutting gesture. Ines looked at them with a frown on her face but didn't speak. She knew better than to incite yet another argument between them.

She stood a few metres away and gazed in the distance to figure out a possible rout towards whatever they were searching for. It was harder than she had anticipated, though. She had no clue what lied behind those woods, or what they needed to be looking out for exactly.

'I didn't expect such numbers of those people,' Matthew said in a disappointed tone. He was clearly referring to the masked figures up the mountain camp from the previous night. Maybe that was a sign for them to be more cautious and not act too carelessly.

'What were you expecting, then,' she raised a brow.

'Dragons and monsters. I'm kinda disappointed.'

The elves chuckled at his words, while Ines only stared at him with glinting eyes. Matthew met her gaze and held it, his lips curving into a smirk. Since the night before she had been a little nervous around him, as if she was stepping on thin ice and was trying not to break it.

Having no experience in any kind of intimacy, Ines was navigating through uncharted waters. It would take her some time to get used to the burning flame in his eyes that he no longer cared to hide. Eventually he averted his gaze from her, and Ines cursed her lack of self-control.

No sooner had she managed to get her bearings than she felt Matthew poke her sides with his elbow. She turned to him with a curious expression and saw him pointing to their right. Ines glanced towards where his finger was showing her to look.

At first, the only thing she saw was the never-ending forest below, the white mountains that reached up for the sky and the unknown parts further away that were not visible because of the dense fog. Once she focused her eyes for a little longer, though, she began noticing something unusual. Something that looked very much like a tiny smudge in the horizon, where the mist was getting thicker beyond the woods. The more she stared, the more certain she became that her mind wasn't playing tricks on her. There was the darkening road the needed to follow. How hadn't she noticed it already?

'I think we have found where we are going next,' Matthew said, confirming her thoughts.

. . . . .

Ines stood by the nearest tree and scanned the dead bodies lying on the ground in front of her. She had to admit she was getting good at finishing them off, but that didn't mean she enjoyed it. She was actually disappointed to see so many people losing their lives because of someone's madness.

She sighed in disapproval and took out a piece of cloth and began cleaning the blade of her sword. Every tense stroke fueled her determination to finally end the bloodshed, to free their world from evil. She looked up and saw Matthew checking the area.

'Is there anything here that doesn't want to kill us?' his voice brought her back to reality. He had finished inspecting the place and was then walking towards her. 'You are getting better at using your powers.'

'I wish I could say the same about you,' she paused and gave him a lopsided grin.

'Next time I'll let you get killed by those creatures.'

A ringing laugh escaped her mouth. She loved pushing his buttons, and so she slowly came closer to him with mischief written on her face. She stood merely inches from him, their bodies sharing heat in the cold of the winter. She saw Matthew freeze and stare at her, but his eyes were sparkling in curiosity, waiting to see what she would do next.

'You wouldn't survive without me,' she whispered to him sassily.

Matthew only looked at her like he was in a stupor, caused by her bold behaviour. 'Oh, get over yourself,' he said, but he seemed to have already forgotten his annoyance. 'You're alright?'

'I'm fine.'

His expression softened as his gaze hungrily took her features in. He unsurely reached out with his palms directed to the sky and held her flushed cheeks within his hands. His gentle touch made her heart beat rapidly, a side effect she had no control over.

Their breaths mingled in the crispy air, creating a cloud of white, and Ines unconsciously leaned forward to him. Little by little, their faces got closer and closer, and Ines felt her eyes automatically snap shut of their own accord, itching for his touch.

'Oh, come on, people!' Landos' yelling made her immediately open her eyes and jump away from him.

'Spare us from your lovey-dovey happiness,' Inerma added.

'I think my vision is permanently impaired.'

'Okay, okay. We got the point,' Matthew glared at them, like he was frustrated by their interruption.

Ines, trying to conceal her smile, sat again by the tree and resumed polishing her sword. Her flaming cheeks only made it harder for her to focus on her weapon, but she couldn't let it on.

'That was fun,' Inerma said nonchalantly.

'Yeah. We should do it again sometime,' Ines didn't miss the sarcasm in Matthew's tone.

The two of them took a seat next to her and savoured the little time that remained before they continued their journey.

'We can't stay here for long,' Landos reminded.

'Oh, give me a break!' Matthew exclaimed. 'Aren't you tired?"

'I am.' The elf didn't budge. He hovered over him, giving him a dirty look.

'I wouldn't mind retiring in a small village, planting artichokes and talking to sheep,' Matthew rested his hands behind his head, ignoring him. 'I'm too old for any more fighting.'

'I feel sorry for the sheep,' Ines murmured quietly, but loudly enough for him to hear her.

'You know I have a gift with sheep.'

'Why? Just because that sheep kept following you for hours? You kept feeding it!'

'We had a connection!'

'Sure, you had,' Landos said and patted his shoulder.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: I was walking the other day and I think I dropped something, but I'm not sure. Can you help me find it? It starts with an 's' and ends with a 'tar'. I'm sure it's somewhere here. Thanks for reading!

Phrase of chapter: Qualis artifex pereo / what an artist the world loses in me - Senecus