Chapter 4- Peeta Mellark

The moment I step into the bakery a swarm of heat hits my ice frozen face making me melt into the smell in the air. I then walk up to the counter and take a seat on one of the stools in the front counter setting the pile of books down and just taking a breath of air.

"Can I help you?" A deep, welcoming voice booms from in front of me.

"Hi." I say looking up and see a tall sized man with dirty blonde hair and incredible, magnetic iris blue eyes.

"Hi." He responds with a warm smile on his face.

"Umm..." I trail off not knowing what to say.

"What would you like?" He asks me placing his hands on the corner making me bite my lips, like I always do when I'm nervous.

"Well.. what would you recommend?" I ask him trying to start a conversation.

"You look like you haven't eaten all day, so I'd suggest some cheese buns." He says still grinning and walking away to fetch some.

"Cheese buns?" I ask unsure of what they are.

"Yeah," He says setting the plate of three perfectly baked buns in front of me and leaning over the table coming closer to me saying, "Well, you see they're crisp and warm on the outside then when you take a bite the melted cheese explodes in your mouth."

"How do you make bread sound that good." I say before realizing I was thinking out loud.

"Well, my family had owned this bakery for years." He says chuckling.

Great, now I sound stupid to him, I think to myself.

"So you work here?" I ask taking a small bite of the perfectly baked pastry and moaning happily after how good it taste.

"See, I told you it was good. And, you could say that." He tells me before taking a bite of one of his.

"Oh." Is all I say before skimming his perfectly built body.

"So you're expecting?" He asks as he looks over at the mound of pregnancy books.

"Well, technically." I tell him smiling as he returns the generous smile.

"I didn't quiet catch your name." He says bringing me another batch of cheese buns for me to take home.

"Katniss. Katniss Everdeen." I tell him smiling once again like a retard.

"Peeta .. Wait! WHAT!?" Peeta almost yells.

"What's wrong?" I ask almost terrified about the expression on his face.

"Please don't tell me you said your last name was Everdeen." Peeta says starting to pace his breathing.

"Yeah, it's Everdeen. Why is there a problem with that?" I ask worried.

"You didn't happen to get a sperm donor did you?!" He asks looking at me straight in the eyes.

"Yeah, I did. Why?" I ask him a moment before catching on to what's he's saying.

"OH GOD, NO! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! EFFIE TOLD ME IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE! NEVER DOES ANYBODY EVER MEET THEIR SPERM DONOR! THE CHANCES ARE ALWAYS ONE IN A MILLION!" I start to babble on as my heart beats ten times faster.

"Well, I guess the odds weren't in our favor this time." Peeta says as he runs his fingers through his hair a little too abusively.

"I think I'm gonna throw up." I say running to the bathroom.

I reach the toilet just in time to pour out all of the food I just devoured. I then feel two hands pull my hair away from my face and know it's Peeta.

"GO AWAY!" I scream at him throwing my hands in the air before placing them on the toilet again while I continue to spill out all my food.

"Well, this is my bakery so there is no where for me to go. And quiet frankly your baby is technically mine so I'd like to help." He says and starts rubbing my back compassionately.

"YOU ARE NOT MY BABY'S FATHER!" I yell at him.

"You did enter my sperm into one of your eggs so as far as I know that baby is mine." Peeta says as he continues rubbing my back.

"Okay, I'm done." I tell him perching my forehead on the toilet seat.

"Great, do you wanna stand up?" He asks me as he gives me a hand.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." I say as I take his hand and stand up.

"Would you like to go out for coffee?" Peeta asks me as his breathing goes back to normal.

"How worse could this get? Why the hell not? I mean you are my child's father." I say wierded out by the way it sounds.

"Okay, that sounds a thousand times crazier then I thought." He says and slips me his phone.

"What?" I ask him looking down at the phone.

"How do expect me to call you?" He asks me grinning.

"True. Yeah, sorry I'm still shocked by the idea that you're.. my baby's father." I tell him gulping down a glass of water Peeta handed me.

"Yeah, I'm in the same position you are." He tells me laughing and taking a seat next to me.

"This! This is not funny! Okay? Peeta Mellark, this is not funny!" I tell him trying not to laugh. I end up caving in and laughing.

"Then why are you laughing?" He jokes before I punch him playfully.

"You know this is funny."

"Please enlighten me and tell me why this is funny." He says looking at me with those incredible eyes.

"It's funny because my whole life I've planned every single tiny decision and thing that happened to me. And look at me! For god's sake I got a sperm donor because I thought that falling in love was impossible. I've always told myself that I don't have time to fall in love or for mistakes. And from the looks of it I think this is going to be one hell of a ride." I tell him slumping my head against his shoulder.

"Do you want me to take you home?" He asks, "I was about to close up anyways and honestly I don't want you walking home in this brutal weather if you're carrying one of my offspring." He tells me before I break out in laughter again.

"Yeah, why not?" I tell him as I lift my head from his shoulder and realize how close to him I am.

His eyes then look down at me and I feel myself coming closer to him as he does the same. I know this is wrong since we just met but we both don't stop. When our lips are just a hair away from each other he pulls back and says,

"Yeah, I should close up and drive you home."

"Hm." Is all I say before nodding my head feeling disappointed I didn't actually kiss him.

Katniss, you just met him, I think to myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there is it.. KATNISS FINALLY MET PEETA!

I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to comment or vote.

-Elvidia