Chapter 10: The Second Game, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"We congratulate you on making it to the Second Game. This game is called the Dream Race."

The Hosts exchanged pondering glances, while Solan stared forward. The glowing score board flashed before each of them, and they realized it was now projected in their minds, still in their top field of view even upon clasping their eyes shut, as long as they looked in the direction of the wall. The five doors with each animal laid at the bottom of the projection within their mind, a shaded bar above each, and atop the bars they converged to what looked like a single path.

"There are two components to the Dream Race. In the first, you must relive a past moment, survive, and make it to your Gate. The second component, past this Gate, is the final hallway, where each of your paths will converge to the final stretch of the Dream Race. The first four of you to pass the finish line of the Dream Race will move on, while whoever finishes last is eliminated. Are there any questions thus far?" The Programmers stated to and asked the contestants.

"What kind of 'past moment'?" Tristan said.

"Each of you have had past experiences, experiences which have forked your reality considerably, which happened to you directly or indirectly. Events that, if they did not happen, you would not be here. Events you must confront. Truths and lessons which must be learned."

The contestants shuddered.

"Please note that, your live ranking during the race compared to your fellow contestants will be available to you as you progress."

The contestants watched as the score board in their minds shimmered, each shaded bar turning coloured to illustrate how far a contestant was from the finish line. The colours pulsed back to grey, while each of their respective icons filled in with colour.

"Please note that within the Dream Race are Trade Stations. We recognize that the race will be... quite perilous. Weapons and other resources will be available at these Trade Stations."

"...Well what do we have to trade in order to get weapons at these 'Trade Stations'?" Adrian asked. "We have nothing."

He was met with silence, but Luka cursed to himself realizing Solan had his power for this Game and was a weapon himself now. He wouldn't have to trade a thing. Luka felt naked and sluggish, having given his right to his power to Calysa who didn't seem to realize yet, as he looked at her longingly and sadly.

"You may begin on our count in ten, nine, eight..."

The Hosts' hearts thudded as they realized the Second Game was beginning, whether they wanted it to or not, without an opportunity to calm themselves. Sweat skidded upon their foreheads and their muscles flexed, ready to run to their door, as the red seconds flashed in their minds upon the score board.

Play the Games to win, Luka's voice echoed in each of their minds. Each prayed silently to themselves that Solan would be the last to finish. Each with the inescapable desperation and unconscious desire to survive.

"...five, four, three, two, one."

They each sprinted and smashed through their doors.

Expecting blackness beyond, they all were met with colours and aromas and sights that were both horrifyingly, yet comfortingly, familiar.

**

Tristan

Tristan's shoulder smashed through his door, and as he did so, the wooden door turned to a black steel material he was all too familiar with.