A Lesson in Hope: Bucky Barnes x Reader

Comenzar desde el principio

"Ma, Joey is nothing anymore. Forget he even existed, it's what I'm trying to do." YN's mother sighed through the phone, disappointment evident in the action. "What you need to do is focus on yourself. Did you go and see Dr. Arden today?" The silence on the other end of the phone answered YN's question. "Ma, you aren't going to get better without-"

"Help, yes I know." YN felt her chest tighten at the annoyance in her mother's tone. "Let me take care of myself, YN. I am the mother here." YN fought back tears as she gripped the phone tighter.

"That's why I want you to get better." YN whispered, shaking her head. "I've gotta go, I've got groceries to get."

"YN-"

"I'll see you Saturday. Bye mom." Hanging up the phone, YN smacked her head against the steering wheel, groaning in regret as pain spread over her forehead. "Ow."

Collecting her groceries, YN stared at the cake options available tapping her chin. Her mother turned 50 three days ago, and YN was supposed to be visiting in three days time... with a cake.

She groaned as she glared at the bland selection, making her way over to the cooking essentials. "DIY cake it is then." She muttered, placing the requirements in the basket.

After paying for it, YN was back in her car, staring out the windshield blankly. She knew she had a patient in half an hour and she had to get home, but she could not find the motivation to move her hand to put the vehicle in drive.

The past few months had drained YN of any and all happiness, her mother's illness and the recent breakup of her long term boyfriend stealing it from her. She knew she was pushing her emotions down and not facing them as she should, as she would have told any of her patients they should.

Groaning, yet again, she started her car and drove off, heading toward her Brooklyn apartment. Stopping on the side of the street, she shifted the car into park and stared ahead, something she knew she should stop doing as it was just procrastinating. She caught sight of a tall, a very tall, man leaning against the bus stop sign, his hands in his pockets as he faced the coffee shop she detested. The coffee was disgusting and the barista was as fake as they came.

YN opened her car door after her people watching episode finished, stepping back to open up her trunk and try and juggle the five bags of groceries. As she stumbled away from her car, a voice startled her, making her drop the sugar she had been holding in her mouth.

"Did you need some help?" The voice was deep and strong, but timid at the same time, confusing YN even as she stared at her bag of sugar that was laying destroyed on the ground.

"Mother fucker." She muttered, dropping her head. "That was for the god damn birthday cake."

"I'm so sorry." The man gasped, scratching at the back of his head, which YN recognized as a nervous gesture.

"Not your fault I have some weird complex about doing two trips." YN murmured, her lip between her teeth. She heard the man stifle a laugh, making a smile lift onto her own lips. "Uh, if you could just help me get them to the door on the first floor, that would be great."

The brunette nodded beneath his hoodie, brushing a few brown strands from his face but keeping his head low. They made it upstairs, standing outside of YN's door. She shuffled around in her bag, searching for her keys to open the big brown door.

The man bit his lip, licking over it afterwards. "You work for a therapist?" YN looked up, smiling as she placed her belongings down.

"Uh, not exactly." She laughed, shaking her head. "I am the therapist." The gentlemen's mouth dropped open slightly, blinking slowly.

"Sorry, I-" YN shook her head, laughing again. "You're just so young, I didn't-"

"Don't worry about it, man." YN chuckled again, shocking him with how casual she was with a complete stranger. "I get it all the time."

"I'm... James, by the way." YN nodded, smiling at Bucky.

"Nice to meet you, James." Bucky rubbed the back of his head again, making YN chuckle. "Thank you for the help. I have it from here."

Bucky cleared his throat, stepping back from YN as she finally got the door open. "Uh... this is awkward, but are you taking any new patients?"

YN blinked, staring at the tall man with wide eyes. "Me?" Bucky frowned at the response, making him second guess himself. Before he could brush it off, YN winced. "Uh, sorry. Of course I am, if you wanted to come in, I can arrange an appointment for you?"

Bucky hesitated before nodding, following the woman in with his share of the groceries. Placing down her things, YN grabbed her notebook, opening it three quarters of the way through. "I'm not that tech savvy so I don't have like a fancy tablet or anything." She bit her lip, meeting Bucky's eye quickly as he smiled.

"Trust me, I won't judge you there." YN nodded, returning her gaze to her notebook.

"Uh, I have an appointment Monday morning, if that suits you, James?" Bucky paused, swallowing thickly.

"Sorry, what day is it today?" YN laughed loudly, making Bucky smile at the boisterous noise.

"It's Wednesday." YN smiled, watching Bucky nod. "It's at ten in the morning. Not too early for you?"

Shaking his head, Bucky smiled again. "Monday at ten is fantastic."