Stitches | Chpt 12

Start from the beginning

I complied and settled under the covers finally, my mother seated tall on the side of my bed. She took my small hands, rubbing a smooth lotion over the backs of my hands over the stitches. As much as I hated how I received these marks and how much it hurt, this was always the time when my mother would just take care of me. She had never done this before and so when I felt her cool lips on my forehead, I felt myself begin to cry. My mother didn't say anything about it, just standing up and shutting off the light. 

I didn't have a night light or anything, because I wasn't supposed to be scared of the dark. 

I laid there, letting the tears spill over my clean cheeks. I just wanted to return to her.

I let the exercise equipment snap back, feeling my face heat up with anger and hurt. I pick up my water bottle, whipping it at the wall so it clattered to the floor, spilling everywhere. I just collapsed back onto the bench seat, hands covering my itchy eyes and elbows digging into my thighs. 

My mother had never given me a slash up until that point. The next one had been from her, per my father's sadistic request. I sat, breathing heavily as I let myself calm down. 

I should probably clean up the water. 

I glanced up, seeing Bakugo at the door of the gym. His eyebrows were furrowed and judging. I just stood up and grabbed the paper towels at the wall, mopping up the water. I didn't usually outburst like that--alone or not. It was very unlike me, but I guess things had been too much lately. Bakugo probably knew that I had a limit, a point at which I would finally snap.

"You're just pushing water around," he stated, placing the garbage bin down beside the mess. He knelt down and picked up the sopping mess of paper towels. He slopped them into the can,  unraveling more and effectively mopping up the puddle. "Strong water bottle."

I looked to see that it wasn't broke or anything, only the lid having popped off and spilled it everywhere. I grabbed a hold of it, not saying anything. I listened to him breathing as he tossed the last of the paper towels away. I saw his hand lay against the ground, probably to help him stand up. He didn't stand, however. He ripped one more paper towel off the roll and held it out to me. 

"You're...fucking bleeding you know," he stated. I glanced up, taking it from his hand. His worked hands pointed to his eyebrow and I placed the paper towel there on myself, pulling it away to see it saturated and red. I mustn't have noticed the gym equipment snapping out of my hands and slashing me across the face. I folded the paper towel over again, placing it against my face. Each time I furrowed my eyebrow, I could feel it sting. "The fuck did you do?"

"Gym equipment."

"What have you never worked out before?"

"Not really no," I hissed and his expression hardened. His thumb tugged the hair away from my face and out from where I had pinned it under the make shift gauze.

"Dumbass," he scoffed. He stood up and put the garbage can back. Bakugo offered up a hand to me, to help me up. I set the water bottle down and placed mine in his. He yanked me up, pulling his grasp away quickly. He shoved both his hands in his pockets. I picked up the bottle again. "Should head to see Recovery Girl."

I nodded and started to head out of the room. 

"Hey."

I turned back, bracing for him to ask about the outburst or say something mean, just something I was dreading. 

"Her office is in hallway G," he stated. He started off towards a piece of equipment and I stood there for a moment before heading out. I wandered down the hall, heading to the correct hall. It wasn't a joke or anything, either. I sat on the cot, hearing the small woman warn me about using the equipment more carefully. She gave me a bandage, telling me to come back later so that she could kiss it all better. I thought it was a joke at first, but judging by her seriousness--it was actually her quirk. She was careful to keep the sticky part away from the hairs in my eyebrow.