Chapter 15

Valerie could tell something was up with Gene, and she was determined to get it out of him.

She'd been sitting with him in the medbay for the last hour and he was acting incredibly cagey. He couldn't stay still, and on the off chance he was actually standing in one position he'd rock back and forth on his heels. He had a roll of bandages in his hand and he kept fiddling with it. She was waiting for him to tell her whatever was wrong, but eventually she got sick of waiting and decided to push.

"Alright that's it," she huffed, crossing her arms and arching an eyebrow at him, "You've been twitchin' ever since I got here so whatever's got you all rattled you may as well spit it out."

He stared at her for a moment, continuing to fiddle with the bandages in his hand. Then he threw it on the table and sat down across from her, smiling at her almost shyly.

"I've met someone," he said quietly, and he rolled his eyes fondly when Valerie squealed and bounced over to him, sitting beside him and grabbing his hands.

"What's her name?" She asked excitedly, "is she from around here or is she an American nurse? When did you meet her and how long has this been going on?"

"Alright, alright calm down will you?" He chuckled, shaking his head and patting her hand, "her names Vera, and yes she's from around here. We met before Normandy but since I've come back things have gotten more serious between us."

"How serious?" She asked, eyes twinkling in delight.

"Serious enough that I want you to meet her," he said, gazing at her hopefully. She smiled at him softly, happy tears swimming in her eyes.

"I'd be honoured," she croaked, taking her hands from his and throwing her arms around his shoulders in a hug, "oh I'm so happy for you ChouChou."

"Thanks chérie," he smiled, pressing a kiss to to the top of her head.

~~~~~

Though she'd never admit it to the man walking along beside her, she was incredibly nervous. Gene had mentioned a few girls before they'd left for war, but none were serious enough that she'd gotten to meet them. He must really like Vera if he was introducing Valerie to her, and she wanted to make sure she made a good impression for him. She'd put on her freshly pressed Class A uniform and everything, and as they stopped at the porch of the lovely two-storey house she smoother her hand down over her jacket to remove any non-existent wrinkles.

"Oh don't tell me you're nervous," Gene chuckled, laughing when she socked him on the arm.

"Don't be ridiculous," she huffed, not daring to meet his eyes, "I just want to make a good impression is all."

"Don't worry," he soothed, "she'll love you. And hell, she's probably more nervous about meeting you than you are meeting her."

Valerie didn't get time to respond because the front door opened and they were greated by the kind, smiling face of Vera. Gene leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek before turning back to Valerie.

"Valerie, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Vera," he said, blushing slightly as he introduced her, "Vera, this is my sister Valerie."

Valerie's heart felt like it was going to burst at hearing Gene introduce her to Vera, who he clearly cared about a lot, as his sister. It didn't matter to either of them that they weren't related by blood, they were as close as any siblings could claim to be. He was her brother, and she his sister, and she had to blink rapidly for a second to keep her eyes from misting over at hearing him say it out loud.

"It's really nice to meet you Valerie," she said softly, her voice sweet and smooth like honey. She had a cheerful, heart shaped face, and Vaelrie instantly felt comfortable with her.