Chapter Seven- Mnemonic Device

Dedicated to a very good friend of mine. The mnemonic device part in this chapter was based on a true moment in my life where my friend and I had to think of an easy way to remember the cycle and we came up with what you'll read in this chapter! Leah's somewhat shy personality during this chapter reflects my friend's true personality. But that's only for this chapter.

Chapter Seven- Mnemonic Device

"And that is the life cycle of a star," My teacher droned on and on. I pressed my hands against my forehead and groaned. It was the worst day of the week-Monday and I was anything but awake. Leah sat next to me, furiously copying the notes into her notebook whereas I didn't even know where mine was.

"We should think of a mnemonic device!" Leah whispered in my ear. I took my hands away from my face and nodded. This life cycle looked hard and it might help.

"So there's Nebula, Protostar, Sun, Red Giant, Planetary Nebula, and White Dwarf, for one of the cycles," Leah read off of her notes. We thought about it for a while.

"How about never..." She trailed off and wrote it down.

"Pay?" I asked. "Sluts!" Came the next word and she giggled. Leah rarely said bad words, adding to her innocent personality.

"Real..." She placed her pencil on her chin and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Paychecks?" I asked and she smiled.

"What about White Dwarf?"

"Let's make it a name!" I suggested and she nodded in agreement.

"WALTER!" She shouted in victory, making the whole class look at her in confusion. I started laughing and her cheeks blushed in embarrassment. Adam, from a table behind us, chuckled and I got quiet. His chuckle sounded so sweet, like honey.

"Never pay," She started off confidently and whispered: "sluts" and then continued with her confident voice, "real paychecks, Walter! Bianca this is perfect." She smiled and pushed a few strands of her blonde hair behind her shoulders.

"Hey," A voice whispered from behind me and I turned around.

Adam was leaning over his table, making his pencil roll off the surface. His lab partner picked it up and continued working on the worksheet.

"Well?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"Can you help me with the sheet?" He asked, his eyes pleading.

I tilted my head for a second and internally scoffed. I couldn't get that close to him. Impossible!

"You have a lab partner for a reason, Adam," and I turned around to take a quick nap before the class ended.

I heard him sigh and get back into his seat. I felt a little bad but I couldn't risk anything, especially with him.

After a few moments, Leah's voice reached my ears.

"You should have helped him, girl,"

I stayed quiet, pretending to be asleep. I should have, but I couldn't. Simple.