Eagle Of Knights Chp4

Start from the beginning

Shoug peered at the rug in front of her and smiled to herself. She was happy, so happy that at times Shoug wanted to twirl around and voice the melody that her naive heart sang. She had rejected the offers of so many men because her mind had sketched someone else in her brain. Someone who was her equal in both status and character, which is why she needed to see Gaith with her eyes to make sure all those rumors were true for once, and for some reason, she knew they were authentic.

Batool sat next to her sibling. "Although," she started mischief apparent in her dark eyes," If you desire, I can depart and leave you two alone to converse."

Shoug gasped and lightly smacked Batool's shoulder, who in return threw her head back and laughed. "By Allah, you should have seen your face," Batool stopped just as the door to Shoug's room opened again to reveal their mother.

Umm Faris beamed at her eldest daughter, pride twinkling in her eyes. She walked up to the cot, noticing the blush on Shoug's cheeks. "Binty, are you ready?" She settled her hand on Shoug's head. "Umm Gaith and I will be in Nasser's room if you need us."

Shoug nodded bashfully, unable to look her mother in the eye. "Shoug, you look rather nervous." Her mother then placed her fingers on Shoug's chin.

"I do not know what to ask or say, Umaya."

Her mother beamed. "It is natural. Do not fret. Gaith is a righteous man," she then gently stood her daughter up. "Let us go."

Batool grabbed Shoug's hand as they stepped out of the room. Their mother smiled and walked the other way. Taking a deep breath, Shoug started to make her way towards the main room, eyes downcast and heart racing in her chest.

Finally!

All those nights when she lay sleepless on her cot, delineating how Gaith would resemble or how he would behave upon facing her, were now molding into reality. Shoug knew that their meeting would transform her life and her naive heart, for she knew her heart and soul had deserted her.

When they entered the main room, Shoug felt a shiver run from her skull towards her toes, and the tips of her fingers tingled. From the corner of her decorated eyes, she saw someone stand to their full height at their sight. "Salamu alikum." Came a silvery voice caressing the wind, and Shoug inhaled silently.

"Wa alikum as-salam," Shoug and Batool replied as they sat on a floor cushion a few feet away from Gaith.

Shoug's senses sparkled, taking in every detail of the man's action. She noticed how he waited for them to be seated then sat down, his head slightly lowered out of respect. Her heart flapped its wings within her chest. The wind beamed, leaping over a burning lantern next to the wooden door, and tiptoed to sit next to Shoug, eager to witness their encounter.

"How have you been?" Gaith's melodious voice questioned. Shoug bit her lip; his voice was nothing like Faris; Gaith's voice was soft yet confident. He had a voice that commanded people to hearken despite its softness.

Finally, Shouq mustered the courage to lift her head and look at him. Slowly, she lifted her gaze, and then her eyes landed on Gaith. As soon as her gaze landed on Gaith, a silent hiss passed her lips. Ya, Allah! He was indeed prepossessing.

"Alhamdulillah, how have you been?" Her voice shook, and Shoug dropped her gaze once again, tremendously shy.

"Alhamdulillah, I am well with the grace of Allah. It is good that we get the opportunity to meet, for I desired to ask you something if I may have your permission?"

Shoug carefully looked at him, worried. What would he question her? Was he not content with this relation? She nodded, unable to pronounce words. She took note of how Gaith cleared his throat. Was he just as apprehensive as her? She could not explain, for he sat straight, and his eyes whenever met hers were serene.