bad humor as christmas gift

It was the twentieth time Maya had sighed aloud in a clear tone of complaint as she mixed her omelet with her fork, showing no interest in actually eating it.

Andy could no longer stand her friend's bad mood. Anyone passing close to her could feel her strong inhaling energy, and it certainly wasn't positive energy.

"Maya!" Said loudly, slamming her hand hard on the table. "I swear if you sigh one more time I'll hit you with that omelet".

The blonde just looked at Andy with disdain then letting a ironic smile escape her lips.

"Any sane person knows it's physically impossible to hit someone with an omelet!"

"Well then, I wouldn't mind testing it against physical laws at all". Andy said, as she pulled the plate of omelet towards her.

The truth was: Christmas was coming.

Maya's problem was not the commemorative date but where the christmas party would take place.

A trait of her personality was being competitive, it was something natural for her. The thought that the party would take place at Jack's house made her slightly uncomfortable, as her ex-boyfriend - if she could really call him that, cause for Maya they just had fun together - was always openly exposing his perfect relationship with his girlfriend. Just perfect and annoying.

Yes, she was fully aware that all this annoyance was silly, childish, that there were bigger problems. No, it wasn't jealousy. But the fact that everyone but Maya was currently in a relationship was frustrating. She couldn't say no to the party - since everyone was going, even Ben with Bailey - and, to be honest, she had nowhere else to spend the holiday. However, Maya would be the only one there with nobody.

She had even thought about inviting one of hers wednesday night stands, but in the end it would be a headache for Maya if either of them thought there was something more serious going on between them.

However, her biggest problem at the moment was a lie invented by herself in a moment of despair.

It was late, everyone was exhausted from the last call. It was the end of a 36-hour shift. They gathered in the kitchen with tired faces and the remnants of food, which they had cooked earlier, on the plates.

"So... This year everyone will be with someone for christmas, who would have thought that these guys here were capable of this". Vic said with a victorious tone.

“Not everyone. I think someone this year will have to spend christmas hugging the tree!" Jack didn't hold back his words with his eyes meeting Maya's. Everyone present laughed, it was good to have a comical distraction in the midst of exhaustion.

That bothered her, she wouldn't lie to herself. Having everyone there taking her as a joke wasn't fun for her at all, on the contrary, it was stressful. But what made her uneasy was Jack, for some silly reason she wanted to prove that she could be as good as he was.

"Who says I'm not taking anyone?" Maya quickly said. "Well, just for you to know, I will be very well accompanied".

"Damn time I decided to open my mouth."

It was all Maya could think as she took out her frustration at the gym. Andy watched the poor weights being lifted and tightened with tremendous force

“You know, Maya, I don't think it's very healthy for you to take anger out on those weights".

"It helps me ease my head. When I told you about my problem, I was hoping you would help me solve it".

Maya dropped the weights, grabbing her washcloth and wiping the sweat from her forehead. Then she just dropped her body in sign of exhaustion, and, for the thousandth time she sighed that day.